wrong jql 'epic' regex causing show stopper warning

Ryan May 3, 2023
issueType = Epic AND status in ('Done') AND issue in linkedIssues({{issue.key}}, 'is implemented by'))

so the above is my jql statement in my jira automation lookup issues action and i'm getting the following warning

Invalid JQL

Error parsing template: smart values {{parent link}}, {{epic link}} and {{epic}} are deprecated. Please use {{parent}} instead.

the moment i remove 'issueType = Epic' from my jql, it works fine

fairly certain the regex to flag this error is wrong since i should be able to search for epic issueType, i can't search for parent issue type in this case. the warning is blindly searching for the word epic to flag the error

*edit* noticed that jql that doesn't have linkedIssues seems to be fine with epic in it's name

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kuba Tatarski May 9, 2023

This seems to be fixed now and we're free to use "EPIC" without any problems,

0 votes
Josiah Brown May 4, 2023

Having the same issue:

Can't use {{issue.parent.epic.summary}} anymore

Is this the cause?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/

Kuba Tatarski May 5, 2023

It is related to it but it feel like the validation fails whenever you mention Epic and not only as a smart values. 

0 votes
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hi, seems to be some kind of bug - worked for us fine previously and this started happening to us too now. I guess these smart values were removed from Automation and whenever you mention these keywords in jql, it just throws error.

As a temporary workaround, we used IDs of those entities. So for your case, try using ID of Epic issuetype instead of its name. So for example:

issueType = 10000 AND status in ('Done') AND issue in linkedIssues({{issue.key}}, 'is implemented by'))
0 votes
Kuba Tatarski May 4, 2023

Having similar issues with automations, seems like whenever I mention Epic it just fails validation 

Daniel Kohn May 4, 2023

same here, no smart value will work for us when you have "Epic" in the JQL

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events