workflow import creates duplicate fields

James Malgieri October 25, 2019

We were exporting a workflow, wfs - not xml, from one Jira Server instance (A) to another instance (B).  The workflow had originally been exported from A and imported to B months ago and I was asked to re-export from A and re-import to B a heavily modified version of the newer workflow version.

I noticed about 10% of the fields were already present in B and instead of the import using those fields, Jira wanted to create and use new fields with the same name but different ID number.

Is there any documentation about this? Does anyone have any idea why a field would be duplicated?

Rather than just manually map to the field(s) that are already in B I thought I'd ask because I'm trying to understand what is going on.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hello James,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, the duplicating of custom fields when import workflows is a known behavior in JIRA. Since this is not something that most of the customers would expect when importing workflows, we have created a feature request to change this behavior:

Workflow import creates duplicate custom fields 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, the workaround for this issue would be to:

1 - Export the workflow as an XML file

2 - Edit your XML file with the correct already existing fields

3 - Import your workflow XML, by following this documentation

Let me know if this information helps or you still have any questions about this.

lwoolf2 August 9, 2020

Hi Petter,

Thank you for looking into this - I am having the same issue.

In relation to the XML work around is the concept that it will not duplicate fields with the same Field ID number? For example if I want to import from instance A to instance B and the custom field ID for both is the same is won't duplicate - it will just associate accordingly? Or are you saying remove the custom field section entirely and re-associate with the workflow once imported? In which care one may as well make a duplicate a shell of the workflow with no custom fields/screens linked and import that and re-associate then rather than having to edit the XML? 

You advise is appreciated.

Thank you :)

P.S I have voted for the issue you & Earl linked.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hi James,

Currently, post workflow import manual clean up is required to remove any duplicated fields.

We have the following Feature Request in place to track interest in adding in an option to clear this up, please make sure to add a vote and drop a comment with any feedback on what you would like to see or how this feature is impacting you:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer