when i try and attach short videos to tickets i get a file not recognised message and cant save

Naomi Milen November 6, 2020

i attach short videos to tickets and i started getting an error message that the file format was not recognised and i cant save the ticket. i use MAC snipping tool and it works 95% of the time.

this messages is getting more frequent and i have had to resort to sending the video to my developers via slack or drop box. 

i use the same tool, im not sure why this is an intermittent issue  

i used to be able to log out then back in and i could attach the same file but that is not fixing it 

2 answers

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2020

Hello Naomi,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site using the same tool, I wasn't able to replicate the issue, but maybe this is related to a bug where it only happens if an attachment is added with a formatted text. 

Please, check the bug ticket below and let us know if it's the same steps you are following:

If that's not the case, can you please send us a screenshot of the error?

What browser are you using? Have you tested using another one?

Can you open the developer tools on your browser and check on the console tab if it shows any other error?

Is it happening on tickets from different projects or is it a specific one?

Is it a next-gen or a classic project? If it's a classic, are you using the new or old view?

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2020

Hi Naomi,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

In a similar thread were some tips lately on how to debug this situation. Back then it turned out, for example, that the file was just too big. But there are plenty other scenarios why this might fail, such like special characters in the file.

Please kindly review the discussion for different possibilities to diagnose it further.

Cheers,
Daniel 

Naomi Milen November 9, 2020

Nope didn’t answer the question. I attached the same file 20 minutes later and it worked. 

it always eventually works. It seems to be an Intermediate issue. 

same file type and size won’t attach, I try again about 15 to 20 minutes later and works 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2020

In that case please don't hesitate to open a support request with Atlassian - according to your information provided here you are on a premium plan which allows you to raise a request.

Naomi Milen November 9, 2020

So that’s what I tried to do originally but it lead me all the way here with no obvious button to raise a support ticket.

they didn’t make it easy  

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2020

In case you are on a free plan or your site is managed by a organization you are referred to Community. In all other cases you can open a support request.

If it should not be possible you still can check if somebody else has an additional idea on this issue - to be honest my options are coming to an end here.

Further diagnosis would probably require inspecting your network/network settings (there might be something that interrupts the upload but not in all cases - that,
although, can only be inspected by somebody on your end). Further diagnosis might also require to look into the settings of your specific Jira site - that can only do Atlassian.

Naomi Milen February 7, 2021

finally got a screenshot please see below, 

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.25.48 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.27.20 am.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

I seem to understand you are adding the video to a comment.
Is it working if you click on "Attach" instead and choose the file?

Naomi Milen February 8, 2021

i get the error for both, but i always add the video to the comment, especially when we are debugging. it helps everyone keep track of what video relates to what comment. if you just attach it its just a list of attachments on a ticket

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

I would suggest you go through the hints and remarks Angélica posted some days back.

Hopefully this will give more insights.

Hi daniel,

angelica didnt provide any information for me to correct the error? only suggested i send various information to prove it. our developers looked into what we could re the dev tools and we cant work out why. can you please have your team investigate the issue as it is very frustrating having to slack videos to tickets to our team and cite it back to the ticket, then waiting a few hours and remembering to attach the file after jira allows me to 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

I fear there is a misunderstanding. I am with no official team but an user like you in Community. However, sometimes official Atlassians are here in Community.

I have not more Option than you.

However, you could contact Atlassian support.

Alternatively you can wait if somebody chimes in who had a similar issue alongside with a potential fix.

well dont i just look like a silly head lol

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2021

Hello @Naomi Milen,

Thank you for all the details.

I understand that you are facing this issue for a long time I tried today again to replicate the issue and also searched for similar issues with this error message, but didn’t find anything that is specifically related to uploading a video. 

I changed the attachment size on my test site and a similar message was shown, but since you are able to add the exact same file after a while, it shouldn’t be the issue.

Since you are a user from a Premium cloud site, please, reach out to your site administrator for them to create a ticket with our support on support.atlassian.com/contact and add you as a participant. They will be able to access your site if you allow them, and then try to replicate the same issue to check what is happening in this case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events