whats the difference between adding an individual user to a project role VS adding them to a group ?

sn May 17, 2017

hi,

when i create a project and add users to project admin roles( individually) , they coudn't access some functions. but when i added them to a group "Project Admin" then they can access.

i'm new to admin and unable to understand by looking at our groups and schemes.

any input is appreciated.

thanks

Capture-groups.JPG

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2017

Users and groups in projects are only part of what you need to look at.

You need to cross-reference this with the permission scheme for the project.  This will say things like "project lead and role X can admin the project", "role Y can edit issues", "role Z can create issues", "everyone in group jira-developers can see the issues". 

Once you understand that, you'll be able to look at who is in what role in the project to work out what rights they get.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

Maybe the group is used directly in the permission schemes. Check your project's permission scheme to be sure.

Roles/Groups/Users can all be used in various schemes.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

The way I like to use all of these pieces is to use mostly Project Roles (and the project lead) in Permission Schemes. I put groups as project role members on the appropriate projects. I set project role defaults so these are propagated to all new projects.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2017

That is the recommended way for sure. But so many instances end up adding groups directly in schemes, sometimes due to valid use cases.

Suggest an answer