• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

what is Jira official plugin for Jenkins?

I am trying to integrate Jenkins with Jira cloud. But i see so many plugins available in Jenkins for Jira. I'm not sure which one is the right one to use. what is Atlassian official plugin for Jenkins. what exactly is the difference between those plugins. can you also suggest me the primary use case in this Jenkins-Jira integration.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B Atlassian Team Apr 22, 2020

Hello @Ashok ,

The official way to integrate Jira Software with Jenkins is described in the below documentation page that also provides some use cases and examples:

Please review above page and let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
Dario

@Dario B Thank you for the reply. I got the answer.

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B Atlassian Team Apr 29, 2020

You are very welcome @Ashok , happy to know this answered your question!  :) 

Cheers,
Dario

Hey @Dario B can we discuss something about this plugin Jira here? As this plugin is not official one from Atlassian.

Dario B Atlassian Team Apr 30, 2020

Hi @Ashok ,

This community is open for every kind of discussion. :) 

Just be aware that not being this an official app from Atlassian I have limited knowledge about it and I might not be the best person to assist. On the other hand, other community members might know more and jump in the discussion. 

Do you have any issue using that plugin? 

Hi @Dario B ,

Yes, i'm having few issues with that plugin. 

1. I'm unable to connect to Jira from Jenkins (i.e. getting error for validation settings in Jenkins configuration). And this happening with one Jenkins server, if i try with Jenkins in another machine it works.

2. If connection works then i'm unable to create Jira issue from Jenkins. I got 

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at hudson.plugins.jira.JiraSession.createIssue(JiraSession.java:413)
 at hudson.plugins.jira.JiraCreateIssueNotifier.createJiraIssue(JiraCreateIssueNotifier.java:204)
 at hudson.plugins.jira.JiraCreateIssueNotifier.currentBuildResultFailure(JiraCreateIssueNotifier.java:357)
 at hudson.plugins.jira.JiraCreateIssueNotifier.perform(JiraCreateIssueNotifier.java:159)
 at hudson.tasks.BuildStepMonitor$1.perform(BuildStepMonitor.java:20)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.perform(AbstractBuild.java:741)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.performAllBuildSteps(AbstractBuild.java:690)
 at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.post2(Build.java:186)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.post(AbstractBuild.java:635)
 at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1881)
 at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
 at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97)
 at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:428)
Build step 'Jira: Create issue' marked build as failure

overall it was not a good experience working with this plugin. i looked around for solutions but didn't get much. 

I really appreciate your time and help.

Thank You.

Like Dario B likes this

Hi @Dario B

I'm getting this one when i as trying send build info to Jira from Jenkins. 

jiraSendBuildInfo: SKIPPED_ISSUE_KEYS_NOT_FOUND: No issue keys found in the current branch name. Not sending build information to Jira.

Can you help me to solve this one. 

Like Max Cascone likes this
Dario B Atlassian Team May 15, 2020

Hi @Ashok ,

The error message is pretty much self explanatory:

No issue keys found in the current branch name

You need to have an issue key in the branch name otherwise Jira cannot possibly know which issue has to be updated with the build information from Jenkins. 

Please notice that this is listed as one of the pre-requisites for the integration in the documentation already provided:

Before you begin

Time: 15-30 mins

Prerequisites

• You're a site administrator of your Jira Cloud site.

• You're an admin in Jenkins and you can install, update, and delete plugins.

• You're using a ‘Multibranch Pipeline’ in Jenkins (this is the only item supported in Jenkins today).

• You can edit the Jenkinsfile in your source code/repo for the pipeline(s) you want to use this integration with.

• Your team should be adding issue keys (e.g. FUSE-123) as part of their commit messages (for deployment information) and branch names (for build information). If your team isn't already following this pattern, you can read more here.

Please review above page and let us know in case further support is needed.

Cheers,
Dario

@Dario B  Thank you for response. 

Adding issue key in the branch name is the only way to send build info form Jenkins to Jira?

or is there any other work around this https://plugins.jenkins.io/atlassian-jira-software-cloud/ ?

Even after adding Jira issue key in branch name its not automatically detecting issue-key in branch name when i pull the code from GitHub in Jenkins.

Dario B Atlassian Team May 28, 2020

Hi @Ashok ,

After reading below sentence I believe I need to know a bit more on what changed:

Even after adding Jira issue key in branch name its not automatically detecting issue-key in branch name when i pull the code from GitHub in Jenkins.

The previously error was clearly saying the issue key was missing from the branch name.

What happens now when you try to send build info to Jira from Jenkins?

Cheers,
Dario

Hello @Dario B , 

It's working fine now. I missed few things when i was doing last time. I didn't use multibranch pipeline and there was some issue with checkout stage in Jenkins pipeline. 

But i got something else here. Is DVCS connecter is the only option for Integrating Jira software cloud and GitHub enterprise server? I saw somewhere in Atlassian community saying DVCS is going to be deprecated soon. so what is the best approach here? Go head and use the DVCS to integrate or ?

Thank you for coming back again. I really appreciate your help.

Dario B Atlassian Team May 29, 2020

Hi @Ashok ,

This and many other concerns have already been addressed in the below article:

• Everything you need to know about migrating from the DVCS Connector to the new GitHub for Jira app

What is happening to GitHub Enterprise connections, which also use the DVCS Connector?

The integration between GitHub Enterprise (on-premise version) to Jira Cloud will not be affected, as we still have work to do in the future to make this possible in the new integration. This is because of common issues that affect server to cloud type integrations and require a bit more work & thought to build a great experience for you.

Please continue to use the DVCS Connector integration method if you are a GitHub Enterprise customer.

Is the DVCS Connector being deprecated, and if so, when?

Yes, we will be completely removing the DVCS Connector integration for GitHub in favour of the new GitHub for Jira app. However, we plan to slowly phase this out and allow existing customers plenty of time to move over.

We are aware of the many Jira Software Cloud customers who are already using and enjoying the GitHub integration via the DVCS Connector. We have tried our best to make the migration as easy as possible and will address any issues/bugs that may come up as fast as we can.

The DVCS Connector for GitHub.com (the GitHub enterprise connection has no date to move over yet) will no longer be supported as of June 30th, 2019.

Review above link for more details.

Also, please notice that this new question has nothing to do with the original topic and should have been asked in a separate thread. It is good practice to have different issues discussed in different threads.

Cheers,
Dario

@Dario B got it. thanks.

Like Dario B likes this

Hi, how we can send buildInfo from develop branch? We can't keep Jira id in develop branch. Please advise. 

Dario B Atlassian Team Feb 18, 2021

Hello @Arumugam Subramanian ,

I believe that this is documented in: Integrate Jira Cloud with Jenkins

Specify custom logic to get issue keys

By default, the plugin extracts issue keys from all the commit messages in the change log of the build. It is possible to override this behavior to add your own logic and supply the list issue keys as an issueKeys parameter.

jiraSendDeploymentInfo site: '<sitename>.xyz.net', 
environmentId: 'us-prod1', environmentName: 'us-prod2', 
environmentType: 'production', issueKeys: ['DEV-001', 'DEV-002']

For more details on this topic, you may want to review below links:

Finally, for the future, please avoid adding a question to a thread that is already marked as resolved. Creating a new question would be the best way to go. 

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,193 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you