user getting "error timed out" message when loading agile board

SCM - Software Confgurations August 13, 2015

I have users in India (the server is in the US) that are getting a "request timed out" error (see image at end) when trying to load an agile board to do planning.  There are ~300 items in the backlog and ~50 in the sprints, so we're not talking about a huge amount of data.   A US client can load the board successfully.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can try next?

Currently,

The JIRA server logs show nothing.  I did up the agile and plugin logging to DEBUG, but still nothing useful.  Google is also a bit silent on the issue as well.

Things we're trying:

I'm open to ideas.

jira-agile-timed-out.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Emmanuel Rouillard August 13, 2015

I think that the time between the request to the serveur and the reply is too long.

Maybe, your server is too slow, or too busy. It may require more memory or more CPU.

The internet traffic may cause this too long response.

SCM - Software Confgurations August 14, 2015

I agree that latency is most likely the issue here. I'm able to run the agile board successfully on a LAN close to the server, so it's probably not a memory or CPU issue (unless there's a huge traffic/user spike that I'm not aware of during GMT +5:30.) I was hoping that someone was aware of some server or plugin tweaks/settings that could help.

subodh kommineni March 29, 2016

Hi,

I am having same issue in my current instance of JIRA and all users are in US and we noticed this issue with one board and that board is trying to load close to 4K issues. Has anyone figured out any solution?

Thanks.

Myra_Rebillard April 28, 2016

Subodh, I'm seeing the exact issue you are describing, but with a smaller number of issues.  I was wondering if you found any solution to your issue.

subodh kommineni April 28, 2016

Myra, Our instance of JIRA and JIRA Agile plugin has a known issue about error time outs.

Please see the below KB article that was given to me by Atlassian. Atlassian asking us to upgrade JIRA (This was the solutions I was given by Atlassian support).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/backlog-is-slow-to-load-779158884.html

Myra_Rebillard April 28, 2016

Hi Subodh, thank you for getting back to me.  I found the issue in ours.  It has something to do with one of the issues that was being pulled into the board.  It must be some kind of overflow or bad index, or something.  If I try to bring up the issue on its own, JIRA is not able to.  This link below pointed me to consider a potential overflow... although it's not JIRA.

http://support.urbanturtle.com/entries/28107008-TF400898-An-Internal-Error-Occurred-when-accessing-the-Product-Backlog

Suggest an answer