user cannot receive an invitation email

bmarwa December 14, 2021

Greetings,

There is a user I would like to invite to my team.

He has an Atlassian account and is on other projects.

I'm not an admin but the current Project Manager and I have tried sending invites via email and for the entire day he has not had them in his inbox or junk box.

How can we resolve this issue?

Thanks...

2 answers

1 vote
Markus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2021

Hi @bmarwa ,

If the user has access to your Jira Cloud instance (xyz.atlassian.net/jira) then adding them to a new project will not invoke an email being dispatched to notify them of this event (given your instance is in a vanilla state).

Review the permission scheme of the project to ensure the user has or inherits access (pay attention to the Browse permission). 

After doing this, open the project in question copy the URL and send it to them. Given they're signed into the Atlassian Cloud account which was granted access they will be able to view the project.

Cheers,
Mark

Alex Ortiz December 14, 2021

I agree with Mark.

The email notification is sent out when the user is new.

I would recommend you do two things.

First, have your site-admin go to user management and confirm that the user in question does indeed have an account and appropriate Jira license.  If the user has already logged in, Jira will tell your site-admin the last time they logged in.  If the user has NOT logged in ever, you will have the opportunity to click on "Resend Invite."

Second, in the project settings, go to People and make sure the user is in the project with an appropriate role that grants "Browse" permission.  Keep in mind, the first step (enabling account/license) needs to happen first otherwise, even if you add the user to your project, they will not be able to see the project since they do not have a license.  

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2021

Hi @bmarwa , welcome to the Community!

I've checked our mail service records to see if potentially email was not going out from the Atlassian mail service. A total of 22 email addresses on your domain had at various points in time returned error messages that placed them on an email suppression list on our end. I've cleared all these email addresses out, so it's possible that if the user you're trying to invite was on the list, resending the invitation should work now.

To prevent this from happening, I would recommend having someone with Exchange Admin rights at your company take a look at this article:

We provide specific guidance to help ensure emails from Jira Cloud deliver successfully into Office365 without bouncing back and getting on the suppression list by accident.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events