Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

use more components per issue

Dear all,

For the project I'm creating, I want to use multiple sets of attributes.

'Components' is a nice attribute because I can make filters on it, and can also manage the list of allowable components. But how do I manage my other sets of attributes?

- I can only use 1 component per issue unfortunately

- Can't filter on 'labels' and I can't control the list of labels, so not acceptable for me

thanks in advance

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Eugene Laarhoven

I'd recommend that you create a custom field of type select or multi select list. There you can specify which options can be selected - and you can filter based on the allowed values.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Thanks Matthias,

I have to investigate the option,

And can I filter/sort on a custom field, other than export in a CSV file?

Yes, indeed, you can filter/sort/export custom fields. They're quite flexible in their usage.

The one downside might be that, unless you're using team-managed projects in Jira Cloud, you need to have Jira administration permissions in order to create them.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rik de Valk Community Leader Aug 15, 2022

Hi @Eugene Laarhoven ,

I'm not sure why you state that you can only use 1 component per issue. Could you clarify why?

Because you can combine Components. Say for example you want to categorize your issues by color and by taste. In that case you could have a list of components that looks like this:

• Green
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Sweet
  • Sour
  • Savory

And any single issue could be assigned to two of these to indicate color and taste. You can filter on any of:

• Component = Red
  • Component = Sweet
  • Component = Red and Component = Sweet

An alternative will be to create a custom field per your needed category.

• Custom field "Taste" with options Sweet, Sour, Savory
  • Custom field "Color" with options Green, Blue, Red
Thanks Rik,
Your interpretation of my issue is correct, however I can only add 1 component (combinations not allowed)
It might be a company limitation, I'll ask internally.
The custom field: I have to investigate, thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events