update notifications are too noisy

Peter Kakris August 14, 2020

I would like to receive updates for changes to tickets if i created it or if I am the assignee.

I get slack updates

However when i create a ticket and i make a number of edits to in a short period of time i get MANY updates, there are two issues.

1) one for EACH field that is changed as I change it!

2) Additionally I am the one making the changes it should be smart enough to now not to send me the notification.

a simple improvement for No 1: could be to wait 5 minutes before sending a notification, and sand a message saying multiple changes.

I looked in the notification settings and i cant see if there are more intelligent notification settings 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2020

Hi Peter - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To cut down on the number of notifications you get, you can change your notification settings.

Click on your avatar in the upper right hand corner of the top nav bar.

Then select Personal Settings.

There you can change the notifications.

Of course you can also adjust the Notification Scheme for each project. 

i tried this thanks , however the optioned are way too limited

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2020

I have changed our Notification Scheme to only notify Watchers for most items. Then if you want to receive notifications for a particular issue, simply add yourself as a Watcher.

You can also use Automation for Jira to send notifications for particular actions. 

thanks @John Funk thats a good idea until the batch sending feature is released. There is a risk that the creator forgets to add themselves as a watcher after finishing with a new ticket.

i'll need to have a look at the "Automation" area, i have not seen that yet, thanks for your prompt replies.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Hello @Peter Kakris ,

welcome to the Community!

1) Batching email notifications is currently available only in Server edition - not in Cloud. It should be soon available also in Cloud though.

Then you will be able to set exact period, for how long should Jira collect changes from the issue and will send it s one "batch" of notifications in one email. Cool feature.

2) For the second issue, it seems you have this option turned on in your Personal Settings. Click on your profile picture, then go to Personal Settings and under "Get email updates for issue activity when:", tick off "You make changes to the issue":

Výstřižek.JPG

In case of any problems, let me know.

Adam

Thanks adam, as I am getting slack notifications, i don't want email notifications as well so i have email notifications turned off.

If I re-enable email notifications & fine tune as you suggest, then turn it off again, will this setting change the slack notifications ? to exclude changes made by me ?

what is an approx. eta for the batch changes update for Jira Cloud ? sound good

sharon August 14, 2020

Hello Peter,

Batching is available in some vendor Slack plugins in marketplace if you want to go that route.

In addition to batching, what we have seen useful is if you paginate the events. If you have multiple events that happened to multiple issues in a time interval, it can all be grouped in one Slack message.

It is a bit aggressive but guarantees zero spamming in the Slack channels irrespective of activity volume in the connected Jira projects. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events