Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

trying to settle an argument. Will JIRA slow down and freeze up if user has it open in several tabs?

Co-worker is complaining that their Macbook Air keeps freezing up on them. They have 40+ tabs open on their browser, with approx 15-20 of them being to different stories in JIRA.

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Sep 13, 2022

No, I often have several tabs open at the same time with Jira and Community. They are not in a constant state of connection, so therefore, would not be slowing Jira down. Although their browser is probably taking a hit. 

0 votes

Nope, that's not Jira, it's their machine.  Possibly the browser.

Jira pages can be heavy on the javascript, which puts load on the browser, but only when they are rendering or responding to user activity (so only one tab will be actively putting load on the browser, the rest will just be sitting in memory taking up space.  Unless you're using a tiling browser like I usually do, but even then, it's only the active tabs within tiles that impose load).

I'm typing this on a mac that has about 60 issues open in different tabs at the moment.  I can see the browser is chewing up a lot of memory, and there's a process for each tab ticking over consuming a smidgin of CPU time, but the processor is ticking over at about 20% usage.  The computer is completely usable, not even a sign of any go-slows.

The problem is not Jira, it's their machine, or how they are using it.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras Community Leader Sep 13, 2022

Hi @Jamie Jones 

I don't think that Jira will slow down because of a user. If you have opened 40 tabs on a browser, your browser after a while will place them on "hibernation". Meaning that it has to reload the tab.

Jira cloud is optimized for performance, but sometime when many users use most of the server's resources, it might slow down a bit.

But your problem is about their hardware and not Jira. If the mac freezes, then check its RAM

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events