tracebility from requirements to testcase to defects

Ajish November 7, 2017

I like to add requirement --> write test cases --> execute test case and log defects in Jira. could you please let me know. how I can do it

2 answers

0 votes
Ajish November 7, 2017

Thank you Jack. How can I execute the test case in confluence. I was told to use tabular format

Ajish November 7, 2017

Thank you Jack. I see the table icon. and able to create Jira. Using the table icon. How can I execute the test case. could you please let me know how to use the table icon

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

Confluence is not a test case management system. It is a documentation tool that is integrated w/ Jira. It can be used to record the test cases, which could be captured in Jira and linked to the page, and show results. However, this assumes manual effort from the planner/tester. They must manually create the plan & ideally keep it up-to-date.

It sounds like you may be better served using a third-party application. there are several that integrate w/ Atlassian products. Look here in Marketplace

good luck!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

@Ajish, I’m not absolutely clear about what you are asking but let me offer a suggestion to what I think you are asking.

I would use the concept of Stories or Tasks plus sub-tasks.

Your requirements would be a Story or Task and the other activities would be sub-tasks. Bugs would be created and linked back to the requirement. Example:

Story- We need to add a screen to allow users to do xyz

• Sub-Task - Prototype the new screen
  • Sub-Task - Develop new screen
  • Sub-Task - Write Test Cases
  • Sub-Task - Test new screen

Any bug that are found would be linked “relates to” the Story.

The above would allow you to provide a complete view of the requirement and any issues found associated w/ it.

Ajish November 7, 2017

Thank you Jack. How can I execute the test case. I was told to execute in Confluence in tabular format. how can I execute in tabular format

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

Confluence is certainly a reasonable approach. You could setup a page for the Story and capture the requirements etc. You can build a table that has links to all associated Jira issues as well e.g.

REQ             Summary     Test Case     Test Results

ABC-123     Do this         Test this        Pass

And this        Test this       Failed: ABC-456

You could also use a test case management plugin from Marketplace.

Or, you could create another ‘test’ Story and link to the requirement Story and use sub-tasks for every test case.

Ajish November 7, 2017

Thank you Jack. I created a Page for Sprint1. created the test cases there in that page. not able to do in tabular format. also not able link the defect. please advise

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2017

@Ajish, so we have moved from Jira to Confluence on this question. Generally it is best to open a new question in the associated application so it gets the appropriate eyes. With that said...

in Confluence you should be able to add a table via this icon - 

confluence-table.png

You can add a JIRA issue to the page via two methods. The first is while editing the page click more macros (+) and select JIRA Issue/Filter. This can be done directly in a cell w/in the table.

Confluence-JiraIssue.png

The second is when in the view mode (not edit) you can highlight text and create a JIRA issue directly from Confluence.

Confluence-CreateJiraIssue.png

If you do not see any of these options it must be a permission thing. Check w/ you admin if that is not your role.

Suggest an answer