time estimates and time remaining on version view

Mark Stocker November 16, 2011

I have a version setup for a sprint and some stories assigned to it.

Each story is "In Progress" and has had an original Time Estimate set up front. At the end of each day we go in and update the Time Remaining field. In the individual Jira you can see this is reflected on the Time Tracking area e.g - Estimated 4d, Remaining 2d 4h. Thats great just what I would expect.

However, if I change my view to the Planning Board and look at the overall Sprint/Version the Time Estimate and Time Remaining fields are identical and just show the time remaining value. I was expecting to see the differences as above (the original estimate and the time remaining).

Is there something wrong here or am I misinterpreting this data?

2 answers

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2011

Hi Mark,

Are you logging the time between the Start and End Dates of the Sprint? It sounds like the time remaining is being updated outside the sprint dates, and is therefore being ignored.

That is one thing to check.

The Original Estimate should remain the same while the Remaining Estimate will decrese (or increase if the story is bigger than initially estimated).

Thanks Mark.

Regards,
Nicholas Muldoon

0 votes
Mark Stocker November 17, 2011

Anyone got a view on this?

Suggest an answer