story is incomplete in sprint

Vishal J March 16, 2015
if a particular story is incomplete.. but few tasks in it are completed.. now we moved that story into next sprint..
couple of questions around it..
1. THe completed tasks also gets carried forward
2. Also should the sprint be first closed before we move the incomplete stories to next sprint?

2 answers

0 votes
Reto Giger August 31, 2016

I have two more questions around this topic... 

1. When Sprint is closed and all incomplete Stories are moved to the backlog, should then the team re-estimated the remaining Story Points and the update the Story Point field? Example: initial estimation of a Story was 8. After the Sprint 2 Story Points are still open. Should then the Story updated to 2?
  2. When the same Story is used in different Sprints with different estimations, are Commitment and Completed numbers in Velocity report using the values the Story had when the Story was in Sprint?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2015
  1.  Correct.  The tasks belong to the story, so they stay with it when it moves
  2. That's up to you.  Personally, I don't bother, I just close the sprint and let JIRA do the work - If you close a sprint with open stories, then JIRA will move the open stories to the next sprint (if you have one.  If you don't have another one, it drops them back into the backlog)

Suggest an answer