sprint id for particular board is visible on board backlog page but not visible via rest api

sachin goyal April 17, 2019

I was searching for one sprint id for particular board on board backlog page

there sprint was visible but when I use rest api to get sprint id  for board then same sprint ID does not visible in sprint list for board.

suppose I was looking for all sprints for  board id 35007.

suppose sprint is 19W15. on board backlog page same sprint is visible but when I use rest api

Baseurl/its/rest/agile/1.0/board/35007/sprint

then 19W15 does not turn up in response list.

why it is so ?? is it error or any specific configuration

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2019

Hi Sachin,

Thanks for posting the details here.  I tried to recreate this problem in my own instance of Jira Software Server 8.1.0.  In my testing, I found that my account did return all the expected sprints that appear on that board.  In the process of walking through and trying this, I did think of something that account for your discrepancy here.

Namely, the account that is logged into Jira vs the account you are using to make these REST calls.  If you can see that sprint in the web interface of Jira appearing on that specific board, then the exact same user account should return that sprint when making that specific REST API call to get back all the sprints on that board.

However if the user account you make that call with cannot see that sprint on that board, then the REST call won't return it either.  Granted that user might be able to see this sprint on a different board, since sprints are actually project independent it is possible that a sprint can exist on multiple boards at the same time.

For example, let's say you have a project A, with board A, and that board is where you created a sprint with two issues: one from project A, and one from project B.   That sprint will exist on both board A and board B.  However let's say that you then move that issue B over to project A.   The sprint still exists, but users that only have access to board B will no longer be able to see that sprint on that board.

In order for a sprint to appear on a board, that sprint has to have at least one issue in the sprint that is matching the saved filter that this board is configured to use.   You can see what this filter is in Jira's web interface by going to that board, then go to the Board button -> Configure Board -> General.  It can show you the JQL filter being used find issues for this board.  By default they tend to be something like

project=XYZ order by Rank ASC

This is the only way I can figure that you might not see a sprint on a board, but that sprint might still exist.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer