Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

smart value displaying the status change

Hi,

I use an automation whose trigger is the change of transition from status A to status B. I want to display the date of change to status B in a field. I had done this :

{{issue.statuscategorychangedate.toDate.jiradate}}

It works very well, it sends me the date of change of status category.

But I want to display the date of the status change. I would like to apply this :

{{issue.statuschangedate.toDate.jiradate}}

Someone would have an idea ?

Best regards,

Estelle

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Estelle Decanis 

That is not possible with out-of-the-box features; only the status category has built-in tracking which is easily accessible.

Your work-around options are impacted by your cost/easy of use factors:

• cost to build/maintain, and easy to use
    • add custom fields to track your desired status change date/times (by status), and use an automation rule to update them.  Note you will need to decide if this should be the first change, last change, etc.
  • cost to build/maintain, and ease is subject to your solution
    • all of the issue history is available, and it is accessible from the UX or from the REST API, so you could build an app which calls the REST API to gather this information
  • license costs, and pre-built
    • investigate the Atlassian Marketplace to purchase addon apps for this

Kind regards,
Bill

thank you for your answer @Bill Sheboy 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted

as it is at status change this smart value works : (and avoids code or purchase)

{{issue.updated.jiradate}}

Please note the updated field will note any changes, not just status transitions.  So that field will also change for field edits, comments, etc.

Yes of course, it's important to specify it.

I didn't put the automation but it will be clearer :

2022-05-19 104212.png
The trigger is a defined transition. At that moment the smart value with the update date will be applied.
And as the trigger is a defined transition the other updates of the ticket will not trigger the smart value.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Thanks for explaining, and that is a good work-around!

With automation rules, there is a small-ish chance the updated date/time could still be after the actual transition change...this could happen when automation rule execution is delayed (e.g. automation engine performance in the cloud) and there was another update later (e.g. field edit).  Just wanted to note that in case you see differences between your custom field and the issue's history.

Like Estelle Decanis likes this

Thanks for your clarifications. It is always very useful

Hello @Estelle Decanis 

To get the status changed date, you can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud from the Atlassian Marketplace. It generates a Status Entrance Date report, that shows the date when an issue has entered each of the statuses. So you'll get an accurate data of status transitions.

statusentrsmcedatereport.png

You can export data as CSV and XLSX files for further analysis.

It's developed by my team and is free for using up to 10 users. Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,588 views 37 46
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you