single issue type project

Debi McGill January 21, 2019

Is it better to have a single issue type project for software development managing multiple products; or a multiple issue type project managing a single product?

2 answers

0 votes
Debi McGill January 21, 2019

In our org, we have a person who will be setting up the structure for JIRA and made the decision to have 1 issue type per Jira project.  Each project will be a single issue type for all variants of our product.

For example:

Project 1:  Bug

Issue Type:  Bug

Custom Field:  CSCIs  (She's not using components)  -  This field will contain all of the variants of our 'Product'

Project 2:  Releases

Issue Type:  Release

Custom Field:  Same as above with all of the variants of our 'Product'.

I am giving a presentation tomorrow on why this is a bad idea.  My experience with Jira is you have a project for each variant or in our case, CSCI.  Components are set up for code, tools, documents, etc.  It's the standard structure that Atlassian recommends.  

I don't know how software releases can be accomplished and managed between 2 projects.

I hope this makes sense.

Gurpreet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

A project in JIRA is basically a place to manage the issues related to that project. 

an issue in JIRA signifies a problem or a task or a to-do item which can be anything for e.g. bug, release, enhancement, get-me-a-coffee etc. 

if you have 1 product, it would be best to have 1 project and then use components to differentiate between issues belonging to a differnet component. a component in JIRA allows you to assign issues to different components, for e.g. you can have an issue that belong to UI component, another issue belonging to Database component, another issue to web-services component etc. 

having multiple projects with just 1 issue type would be a bad design. you have a product which you want to manage from start to Release, so having a unified place is a better design. 

if she wants to have multiple projects and in each project, only 1 issue type, might as well use excel then. why use JIRA at all. 

hope this makes sense. 

0 votes
Gurpreet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

I am sorry but could not understand your question. could you be more clear, please? 

an issue type is basically  a category of a problem. for e.g you can have bugs, enhancements, coffee-runs etc, whatever is relevant to your project in hand. 

what issue types you want do not depend upon whether you have single product or multiple product. infact in JIRA we have projects and not products. product would be the end product that you want to manage in jira. so if you have Product- A for e.g. you can have a single project or you can have multiple projects as well for e.g for different parts of the product, and each project will then have issue types depending upon that specific project. 

hope this makes sense. 

Suggest an answer