restore buckup from 6.4 to 7.x in a new server

amac August 2, 2018

Hello, I've got a big problem. In a server I've installed one instance with JIRA (6.4)  but we need change the server with other license. In a new server I have installed JIRA Software (last version) but when I want restore backup, the versions were incompatibles.

I've maked next setps
- backup JIRA in version 6.4
- upgrade JIRA to last version 6.x
- upgrade JIRA to 7.0
- upgrade JIRA to last version 7.x

(I can't upgrade from 6.4 to last version 7.x)

- Start JIRA service

Now, this message is shown:

Database: Upgrade Failed
The data in your database is currently on version 64019, and is too old to be upgraded. The minimum version that can be upgraded is 70100. You need to upgrade your data to at least the minimum version before upgrading to the final version.
Review our documentation and see what works for you.

I hope you can help me. 

Regards.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2018

Hi Álvaro,

I recommend that you use this method instead in order to perform the upgrade and migration:

From your error message, it seems like you might be using your older database.

The article above mentions the following steps:

1. Backup Jira to an XML file on the old server.
  2. On the new server, install the newest version of Jira and connect it to a brand new (empty) database.
  3. On the import step, you can import the XML backup you created.

Can you give it a try and let us know how it goes? Be sure to go through the article linked and read all steps fully before proceeding with the migration.

Regards,

Shannon

Leonid Malikov March 20, 2019

Hi Shannon / Atlassian,

We are trying to upgrade our ages-old JIRA 6.4.13 to JIRA 8. Well, that's the ultimate plan. After learning that first we would need to upgrade our system to JIRA 7, I downloaded JIRA 7.13, supplied it with an evaluation license so it can be installed, set up an EMPTY database, and tried to use "Restore System" option from system menu.

The backup .zip file supplied came from our production JIRA 6.4.13, where I promptly ran the "Upgrade Check" for 7.13, disabled all incompatible addons (and uninstalled few unused in the process), then rebuilt index, ran "Integrity Check", resolved all issues there. Then made a (XML) backup.

Despite all efforts, I am greeted with the same error message - "the xml data you are trying to import is too old to be upgraded by this version of Jira". In JIRA log file, I see the following:

2019-03-20 16:39:06,586 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO admin 999x1075x1 15wap2r 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [c.a.j.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Importing data is 20% complete...

And then import task terminates. No more explanations, no error stacktraces, nothing.

How can we upgrade from 6.4 to 7.x?

1 vote
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

(I can't upgrade from 6.4 to last version 7.x)

I dont see any reason why you cant upgrade? This is exactly what you need to do before exporting the xml backup.

* upgrade to 7.x

*export xml backup

*import the xml backup to the new 7.x instance

6.4 and 7.x have a different datamodels. There is no point trying to fit a triangle in a cirucular hole :)