"View on board" not working as expected for "Done" Epics

Mikkel Kragelund Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

We have been using Epics for a while now. But one thing I can't understand is how "Done" Epics work.

While an Epic is open, "View on Board" shows the boards where the Epic is visible. Once an Epic is "Done" it can't be found on any boards. But if I go to "Reports" tab I’m able to see these done Epics.

Compared to closed issues. For closed issue it’s still possible to find them on boards. You just get taken straight to the report view. Should it not be the same for "Done" Epics?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikkel Kragelund Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

I have created a ticket for this with Atlassian:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9871

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

Completed epics are cleared from the planning board automatically (why plan done epics), but are always avilable in reports,.

Closed issues will only be visible during the current sprint, and once that finishes they wont show on the scrum boards either.

What is the need to view done epics? How far back? there may be other options. (i.e. by clikcing the epic ID instead of "view on board" when viewing an issue with that sprint.)

Mikkel Kragelund Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

If I click "view on board" for a done feature, bug im taken to the report tab (Sprint report) in rapidboard.

I would expect to also be taken to the report tab (Epic) report for epics. But im told "There are no boards which contain this issue" But this is not true.

Its correct that the "Plan" tab dosen't contain this epic. But its vissible trough report tab.

0 votes
Kristen Myers June 15, 2014

I have a different reason for needing to see the epics after they are marked as done. We have some staff that will mark an epic as done before all the stories have been completed - a mistake of course. So as you know when an epic is marked done then it is removed from the left hand side of plan mode. I reopen the epic and yet I cannot get it to reappear on the left hand side in plan mode. This impacts the organization of the swimlanes in work mode. If I want to alter the organization of the swimlanes in work mode then I'm unable to do it because I can't move the epic in plan mode because it is no longer there.

So for my situation I would like the ability to reopen epics that were previously marked as done and then have those reopened epics reappear in plan mode.

I see the jira ticket posted above (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9871) is still open and I'm unable to leave a comment about the status. So it seems like this bug has not been resolved yet, but if anyone knows of a way to view the epic again in plan mode then please let me know. Thanks.

0 votes
Mikkel Kragelund Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

JIRA: 5.9.2
Agile (GH): 6.2.1

0 votes
MichałS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

Which version of JIRA Agile / GH are you using?

0 votes
MichałS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

There are 2 status under an Epic when using the new JIRA Agile:

1. Workflow status

2. Agile status

and they are independent from each other.

In Agile plan mode you can select an Epic in the filter column and mark it as done (it will dissapear from the column and boards) but the workflow status will remain untouched.

Hope this helps in some way.

Mikkel Kragelund Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

I know that there are 2 different status fields, when we are talking about Epics. Thats not the problem

Suggest an answer