"Update ngrok to >= 3.0 version" error

EZAP Zbigniew Piecuch December 10, 2020

Hi

I'm trying to learn how to write jira apps and I try to follow the Jira Activity tutorial that is available here: Jira activity (atlassian.com)

When I get to the point "Run the app" and type "npm start" command I get following errors:

c:\projects\jira-activity>npm start

> my-app@0.0.1 start c:\projects\jira-activity
> node -r esm app.js

morgan deprecated default format: use combined format node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:278827
Watching atlassian-connect.json for changes
App server running at http://ZAPKOMP:3000
Failed to establish local tunnel
err = Error: You must update ngrok to >= 3.0
Error: You must update ngrok to >= 3.0
Error: You must update ngrok to >= 3.0
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\atlassian-connect-express\lib\internal\registration\register-jira-conf.js:49:38
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
at process.runNextTicks [as _tickCallback] (internal/process/task_queues.js:62:3)
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34535
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34176
at process.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34506)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:296856)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:296555)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:284879)
at Object.apply (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:199341)
at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47
Unhandled error: Error: You must update ngrok to >= 3.0
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\atlassian-connect-express\lib\internal\registration\register-jira-conf.js:49:38
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
at process.runNextTicks [as _tickCallback] (internal/process/task_queues.js:62:3)
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34535
at c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34176
at process.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:34506)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:296856)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:296555)
at Function.<anonymous> (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:284879)
at Object.apply (c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\esm\esm.js:1:199341)
at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47

Perhaps newer ngrok is needed (I have version 2.3.35) but I don't see it on the ngrok website.

I'm using CMD ran as Administrator to run it.

I found on internet that the reason could be that the nodejs is not started yet. When put in webbrowser http://ZAPKOMP:3000 I can see the content of the atlassian-connect.json file.

When I change directory to c:\projects\jira-activity\node_modules\ngrok\bin> and type ngrok http 3000 command it starts without any problem and I can see in webbrowser it works.

Few more info:

npm -v -> 6.14.8

node -v -> v14.15.1

I would appreciate any help with this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
EZAP Zbigniew Piecuch December 13, 2020

I've been playing with this more and finally the instruction from Build a Jira app using a framework (atlassian.com) worked as they suppose to.

So it looks, that when I skip steps:

npm install --save sqlite3

and

npm install --save-dev ngrok@2

then the rest from Jira activity (atlassian.com) works as it should. Not sure what I'll be missing down the road thought.

Anyway, I thought someone might find it useful.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events