"Quick" Move Issue to a New Project

Gary Damm April 19, 2021

Does anyone know of an extension or other means of quickly moving individual issues from one project to another?

I know how to move an issue, but the series of steps is daunting when I simply want to keep the type, status, etc, and just move it to the new project.

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

I'm not aware of anything.

It does seem like an "easy request" to "just move" issues around. But the devil is definitely in these details.

Jira does simplify the steps when it realizes there are one-to-one mappings. But the "Move" process is defined to allow for the complicated situations, collapsing to rote click-thru for the simple cases.

Be sure to use "Bulk Move" if you have more than one or two. So there are already two different ways to move issues between projects. Inventing yet another way isn't likely.

Just for fun, I experimented with a cross-project Board to see if the any of the views would allow me to drag issues between projects. No joy there. I wasn't even able to "reparent" issues this way.

A few parting related thoughts:

• If the root problem is that issues are being created in the wrong project, encourage your users to double-check the "Project" field at the top of the "Create Issue" screen. I don't know why it's wrong sometimes, but even I screw this up on occasion.
  • If you have just one, or a small number, of "move use-cases", you could create automation rules for each move destination. Not sure it saves many clicks, but it may be a simpler approach, especially if folks already know how to manually invoke Jira automation rules from within an issue.
Gary Damm August 4, 2021

We have several projects we use to 'triage' issues before being sent to development squads. In most cases the move is as simple as picking the project, all the other click-throughs are no-ops.

In such cases, it could be boiled down to a single screen that lets you select the project and click move. I understand there are a lot of other more complicated move scenarios but when it isn't complicated the move process is very cumbersome.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events