"No suitable driver found for >jdbc:h2:file"

Audra October 17, 2017

When trying to access JIRA's H2 embedded database, I get the error:

"No suitable driver found for >jdbc:h2:file:C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA/database/h2db 08001/0
java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for >jdbc:h2:file:C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA/database/h2db 
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) 
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) 
    at org.h2.util.JdbcUtils.getConnection(JdbcUtils.java:282) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebServer.getConnection(WebServer.java:759) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebApp.login(WebApp.java:957) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebApp.process(WebApp.java:211) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebApp.processRequest(WebApp.java:170) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebThread.process(WebThread.java:137) 
    at org.h2.server.web.WebThread.run(WebThread.java:93) 
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) "

Could someone help point me in the right direction to resolve this?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

That suggests either an installation that was for one of the supported databases, or a damaged install that the database driver has been rendered unusable.

Corrupt files, incorrect permissions or virus checkers can all kill the access to the driver.  The usual culprit is permissions, but you should also disable anti-virus to see if it's that.  Corrupt or lost files are a bit more involved to fix.

Audra October 17, 2017

Good afternoon Nic,

After some time of looking at it since posting that today, I'm nearly 100% sure it's database corruption. My own fault really and I'm working to try to restore as best as possible.

I did try your antivirus suggestion as one was installed last Friday but no luck.

Thank you though!

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

If you are looking maintain your Jira data and migrate it off this potentially corrupted H2 database, I would recommend these steps:

1. Select a database type/version from our Supported platforms - Atlassian Documentation  (it's important to find the correspond version of this page that meets your version of Jira)
  2. Create a new blank database per Connecting JIRA to a database, (paying close attention to the correct collation for that database type)
  3. Gather an XML backup of your JIRA instance.  Even if you can't start JIRA, you can likely still find a recent one of these backups in the filesystem of the JIRA server.  By default this is saved in <jira-home>/export/ folder.  
  4. Stop JIRA,
  5. Run the JIRA Configuration tool to tell JIRA to use the new blank database, save these changes, (if you can't run this, then you can just directly edit the <jira-home>/dbconfig.xml file to make these changes)
  6. Start JIRA up again (when JIRA starts with an empty database, it automatically launches the setup wizard)
  7. Copy the export XML zip file from <jira-home>/export/ into <jira-home>/import/
  8. Then you can import the backup using the 'Import your data' link in the setup wizard

By following these steps you can then import your previous data into a supported database with the correct database setup.

Audra October 17, 2017

Good afternoon Andy,

This is actually what I'm trying to do now, but I'm experiencing a different issue, haha. It seems I'm just having problems with JIRA today.

Thank you.

Audra

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

Hi Audra,

What steps are you following when you get this error?   If you are following the steps in Accessing JIRA's H2 embedded database then I would expect that you have have to first call a java jar file that is expected to handle the driver aspects for connecting to this database.

That guide has steps for both GUI and Command line interfacing with this database.  I think the GUI tends to be easier to use, but you do tend to need to call that jar file via the windows command prompt to start.

Could you let me know what version of Jira this is?

Since this is a Windows environment, I would expect you might have to adjust path since Windows paths are denoting directories with '\' whereas Unix/Linux paths are denoting directories with '/'.

If you are still seeing this error, I would be interested to see if you can post a screenshot of your display when this happens.  I would be interested to see exactly how you are seeing this specific error.

Regards,
Andy

Audra October 17, 2017

Good afternoon Andy,

I am in a Windows environment and I was following the steps exact. Navigating to the appropriate directory, opening a command prompt there, and calling the java jar file (though mine wasn't java -jar h2-1.4.187.jar, it was java -jar h2-1.4.185.jar). From there, I went and found my dbconfig file and pasted exact (in this case: jdbc:h2:file:C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA/database/h2db) and tried to connect.

I have a feeling that was just the tip of the iceberg though as I got a new error of "General error: "java.lang.NullPointerException" [50000-185] HY000/50000". As stated above, I now believe it is database corruption.

Thank you though!

Audra

Suggest an answer