"Epic" issue type not available after configuring Agile

Mike Prince March 14, 2014

We have enabled JIRA Agile from the Atlassian Marketplace, Agile boards are showing up, I'm creating issues with Story Points, etc. But, I am unable to create an Epic with an "Epic" issue type.

The Epic type does not show up, and if I select Story type, then it prompts for two more required fields (Components, and Fix versions).

When I use the Admin tool to look at issue types, the only types available are Sub-task, Technical Task, Bug, Improvement, New Feature, and Story.

How can I enable/add the Epic issue type?

1 answer

1 vote
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2014

Did you check to see if "Epic" is in your issue type scheme for the associated project? If not, you should and add it to the issue type. Then it should be avaliable.

Also...if you are using "Kanban"...epics don't come into play then.

Mike Prince March 16, 2014

The Epic issue type is not part of my associated project.

I tried creating the "Epic" issue type, but when I try to create an epic by hovering over the Epics sidebar and clicking the "create epic" link, two things happen:

1) I am still prompted for required fields of your normal issues such as "Component" and "Version".

2) When I creaet a new epic it does not show up in the epics sidebar, but instead as a normal issue in the backlog.

How can I create the Epic issue type so it behaves as the documentation indicate it should. Or more simply, I want to create an epic and have it show up in the epics sidebar.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer