"Create sub-task" and "Add a child issue"?

Jason Chayer April 1, 2024

I am trying to create a subtask for a task. However, the project I am trying to do this in shows an "Add a child issue." When I click that, subtask issue type is not an option. How do I get that issue type added?

Also, I have another project that instead of "Add a child issue," I have "Create subtask."

What is the difference between the two?

I have two issue types (both subtask) that I want to be able to create. One is actually subtask and the other is pre-release.

I have checked that both of those issue types are in my Issue Type Scheme. And that issue type scheme is related to the project.

A note, on the project that has "Add child issue" it will allow me to choose all other issue types as child issues, just not the two sub-task issue types.

1 answer

0 votes
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi @Jason Chayer

Regarding the difference between the two, please have a look at this post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-discussions/Subtask-Child-Issues/td-p/1915227

To configure subtasks properly for your project, please refer to the following post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Enable-subtask/qaq-p/1719126

Let me know if this helps!

@Michel Neeser -
Regarding the first post. So, my issue type is not an Epic, but on a Story level. So, in one project I "Create a subtask" and the second project I "Add a child issue." The article did not really answer my question. Because both tasks in each project are on the same level as each other.

Configuring subtasks- I can confirm both subtask issue types are in the issue type scheme that is associated with the project.
Project> Project Settings> Summary> Issue Types> correct issue types listed under this scheme.

@Michel Neeser - I figured out the reason, someone went in and moved two other issue types to have the same hierarchy as an Epic. Hence, the sub-task issue type was not showing under child issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events