"Assignee" in the email's recipient field generates an error

Alex Shirokov September 28, 2022

Hey guys, 

I very trivial questions 

I created an automation rule. In the recipient field of the email entered "Assignee" as a recipient BUT, the rule returns an error.  

What do I do wrong? I want the issue assignee to be the recipient of this notification.

Thank you

issue.png

2 answers

0 votes
Alex Shirokov October 3, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Please find attached screenshots, as requested.

Screen2.png

Screen1.png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

Hello @Alex Shirokov 

What is the error? We can't provide any advice on what might be wrong if you don't tell us the error you received.

Alex Shirokov September 29, 2022

I think I was overworked... This was the essential screenshot I should provide! 

Thank you in advance

Screenshot_2.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

Can you show us the whole rule?

The message is indicating that when you get to the Send Mail action there is no Issue being operated on by the rule. We need to see the steps of the rule that happen before the Send Mail action.

Hi Trudy, 

Please see enclosed. 

One note, if I entered my email address I'm getting an email without any issue. 

If I changed to Assignee (I'm an Assignee to the issue for these two issues affected) then I am getting an error.

Rule1.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2022

If you want to send an email for each issue that is retrieved by the LookUp Issues then I recommend you do this instead. Put that JQL statement directly into your Schedule trigger. Eliminate the Lookup Issues action entirely. With a JQL in a Schedule trigger the actions in the remainder of the rule will be executed for each issue returned in the JQL.

As you have the rule currently written, the Send Email action has no indication of which issue to work with because the previous action returned multiple issues. I believe you would need an Advanced Branch to loop through the issues returned by the Lookup Issues action and send an email for each one.

Hi Trudy, 

Thank you very much. I tried a different way but it does not work for me. 

Can you give me an example if possible?

Thank you 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2022

Show us what you tried.

Alex Shirokov September 30, 2022

Hi Trudy, 

First of all, when I remove step 2 "lookupissue" I do get a list of all issues with the email's body anymore. I have no idea how to use the smart value "lookupissues" in the jql script. 

On the other hand, when I use JQL in the trigger then the Assignee gets an email BUT only for one issue. 

That is what I have today

Screenshot_3.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2022

I notice you have the box checked for "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed"

If you uncheck that do you get emails for each issue?

Alex Shirokov October 2, 2022

Hi Trudy, 

I got the email but it is empty one! 

emp.png

and I removed the checkmark as suggested. 

a.png

Alex Shirokov October 2, 2022

I was playing with it and if I included lookup action then I get the desired result 

res.png

The only issue I need to resolve is that the email contains all issues irrespectively to whom they are assigned. For example, in this list, only two issues are assigned to me but the rest are to another person. And lastly, the system seems to me not to include business and non-business days is it possible to indicate in JQL to count only business days? 

Thank you very much! 

Like John Funk likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

Hello @Alex Shirokov 

Please show us the rule you are now working on. We can't recommend how to change it without seeing what it is.

Show us the details of the Send Email step also.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

I'm still working out how to run this scenario with a Lookup Issues action, but I do have it working for a Schedule Trigger with a JQL.

The following sends one email per issue to the Assignee.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 8.54.14 AM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

Also, you do not need to have both the JQL in the Schedule trigger and the LookUp Issues action. Use one or the other, not both.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

An alternative to using an Automation Rule is to set up a Saved Filter, share the filter, and have each user subscribe to it to receive one email with all the issues assigned to them that are due.

In that case you would want to add to your filter this criteria:

AND assignee=currentUser()

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events