problems when trying to replace one workflow with another, missing statuses

Jay Keck July 7, 2021

I have a a cloud software project where I have an existing workflow that needs to be replaced with a new one. The current workflow has statuses of A,B,C,R and the new workflow has statuses of A,B,C,D,E. When I go to publish the new workflow I'm only given options to map statuses of R. My problem is that I want the issues that are in status A in the current workflow to be in status D of the new workflow, not in status A. Is there not a way in the publishing step to have it display all the statuses in the current workflow and let me map them to wherever I want, it seems like it only is displaying statuses in current workflow that don't have  the same name in the new workflow.

Do I have to modify the currently workflow and add a status Z and then transition all of my status A issues into status Z then during publishing Map status Z in current workflow to status A in the new workflow? 

Thanks,

Jay

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

When you publish the workflow it’s only going to ask you to map things that are not as they were before. So for example when you delete a status it wants to know what status you want to map issues to for that old status. Now if you want to change other statuses such as A becomes D then you can do that after publishing using bulk edit.

Jay Keck July 7, 2021

Thanks Jack, 

My problem is that I am reassigning issue from 2 other statuses in the old workflow into status A of the new one, so if I let status A issues of old one end up there I won't be able to distinguish which As I want to bulk move to D. I ended up creating a TempA status in the old workflow  and transitioning A to TempA prior to me switching workflows, then at publishing it let me assigning a status in new workflow for the TempA status.

It seems like it would be more comprehensive publishing solution to list all of the statuses from the current workflow, by default fill in the ones who have the same status in the new workflow and then let the user override those if they choose to.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

I see. That was not evident in the original post. But I typically have done and scenarios like this is the leverage labels during my book edit so that I knew how to retrieve them if I had to do complex book at it scenarios. In any event it seems like you found a way through it so great news on that front. If you have some good feedback for Atlassian you might consider using the Feedback link and making a suggestion for improvements.

Suggest an answer