problem in the management of items which from their creation end up in to do / workflow issues

Andréa Zireddu _SM_ August 8, 2022

Hello J Experts,

A year ago I got interested in jira and found it horrible but for a year things seem to be moving in the right direction meaning

But I still have small problems with the kanban borard as soon as I create a ticket it automatically returns in to do,

I tried to add a first separate workflow (create, to refine, ready) before the realization phase  and another for the  realization workflow (to do, in progress test and done) but when I change the status of the items and I put for example create  after items disappear from the product backlog,

If on the contrary I do all the statuses in the same workflow create, to refine, ready, to do, in progress test and done I end up with a huge kanban which contains statuses that have nothing to do with the sprint

I'm looking to have create as default status and statuses like create to refine refined and read that don't impact the workflow, the kanban board and the sprint, this only concerns the product backlog and the product owner to help him know what is the state of progress of the items in its product backlog compared to the definition of the need, but these are statuses that should not appear in the sprint or in the kanban board of achievement

2 answers

0 votes

I shared screenshot 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hi Andréa - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure I completely followed your question. Maybe it would be better if you posted in your native language. However, if you are wanting to control the workflow and where an issue gets started (i.e. the status), you can do that by adding an automation rule. But typically, when a new issue is created it should be started in the Backlog status. It if is not and that is what you are wanting, then a simple edit on your workflow should do the trick. 

Can you be more specific (exact examples/use cases) about what you are trying to do? 

Thank you for your answer
I'm looking to have default create statuses and statuses like create to refine refined and read that don't impact the workflow, the kanban board and the sprint, this only concerns the product backlog and the product owner to help him know what is the state of progress of the items in its product backlog compared to the definition of the need, but these are statuses that should not appear in the sprint or in the kanban board of achievement

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Thanks for your clarification. Also, please include your responses in this thread so that other users can following the path of the conversation. 

Statuses are a part of the workflow and will definitely show as such. You can have multiple statuses included in a single column, including the Backlog. But yes, they are different statuses and will affect the CFD as such. 

It sounds like what you want is to create a custom field such as a single item pick list which includes different values. Then you can leave the issue in the backlog, but then select one of those values to show the "status" of the issue while still in the backlog. 

Would that work for you? 

Tk you very much John, 
The custom field is another thing for my po, the result that I would like to  have is the following:

status items for the product backlog only :
Create; to refine, refined and ready

Then....

The normal status for the kanban board / sprint backlog and product backlog :
To do, in progress, test, done

but from what you tell me it seems impossible on jira 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Again, you can have all of those in the Backlog section, but they would be different statuses in the workflow. But they can all still be in the Backlog section of the screen. And they will affect the CFD. 

ahh thank you I didnt understand I will have to deepen my knowledge of jira and in English too... can you give me the steps to follow I thank you very much for your help 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Sure  :-)

You will need to add these new statuses to your workflow. 

Then you need to go to the Board settings and drag those new statuses to the Backlog section of the board. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events