prioritising according to due date: post function on version or ranking or?

laurence bascle August 26, 2014

I am using JIRA Agile Scrum board on Demand, but currently work with an organisation that has a complex business model.

Basically I am getting 2 projects, one traditional dev one, and one that is using service desk, where issues tend to rely on SLAs and short due date rather than end of sprint. I display both in JIRA agile plan view, but starting to get submerged by the volume of requests and have to spend considerable amount of time 'trafficking' requests.

I would like to find a way to partially rely on due date to order tickets, but all routes in looked into seem closed, can someone make a suggestion?

- adding due date to plan view: apparently not going to happen? https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/294351/view-due-date-in-jira-agile-scrumboard-columns

- adding post-function to add an issue to a version based on due date: i have installed JIRA suite Utilities but can't find 'version' in the list of fields to update. i was thinking of creating one version per day, with a start/end date same day, and then match the due date against the version day. that is a bit of an overhead, but could be managed weekly rather than several times a day

- adding a postfunction to manage the ranking of the ticket based on due date: there is no transparency on how the ranking value is managed, and while i can see that 'rank' is a field available in post function, there is no indication of what value to populate it with. i am looking at something like: rank below the last ticket which has due date set to the same due date

any other ideas?

i am running out, thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
laurence bascle September 3, 2014

Big up to Dora at Atlassian, who suggested to use card colours instead to have an easy way to visualise due date. Extract:

----------------

I see where you're coming from , and in this use case, it would indeed be applicable to have the Due Date displayed on issue cards. At the moment, though, the only way to do that would be a code customization, which is only possible on a JIRA Server installation.

I regret that the current functionality doesn't meet your requirements; for JIRA Cloud, though, there's no workaround solution. You could configure card colours based on a JQL filtering by the Due Date, but displaying the date directly wouldn't be possible.

-------------

I have implemented the following:

RED: due <= endOfDay()

AMBER: due=1d

YELLOW: due >= 2d and due <= 3d

PALE GREEN: due >3d and due <= 5d

DARK GREEN: due >5d

this allows me to then sort and rank really easily, and spot the issues that are 'lost' in the backlog

Finally, my idea of tweaking ranking in postfunction is definitely a dead-end, and ranking should be removed from the postfunction options, see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37886

0 votes
PatrickO October 29, 2014

This blows.

We spend all this money each month and cannot show the due date on an issue card? Sheesh....it's 2014 people.

Color cards for the server version are NOT a good replacement for the date. Why make a user have to work harder to process information????

This is a BAD user experience!

RED: due <= endOfDay()

AMBER: due=1d

YELLOW: due >= 2d and due <= 3d

PALE GREEN: due >3d and due <= 5d

DARK GREEN: due >5d

JIRA should be about simplifying the life of users, not making it more complex. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of customization that can be done with this platform, but a lot of it looks like the Atlassian developer are just having fun doing their own thing and are forgetting about the practical world we work in. 

Suggest an answer