not able to close sprint

Jasna Stefanovic December 23, 2021

I have a user who has a role of administrator and scrum master on the project who is unable to close the sprint which was scheduled in the past and never closed. 

This person started working after original dates of the sprint start and end date. Is that why they can't close the sprint?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Do they have “manage sprints” permissions on the project?

@Jack Brickey yes they are in a group which has permission to manage sprints :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

I have never experienced this. Can the Org Admin close it?

@Jack Brickey  yes I have the rights to do it. I was just curious if anyone have had this situation happen before.  

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

It would be an interesting test to add this user as a single user to the permission for manage sprints. Also if this sprint is a multi-project sprint then that user must have manage sprints for each project.

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

I think I've seen this before, and Jack's last comment reminded me of it.  What happened is someone included an issue on the sprint and started the sprint.  Just for background knowledge, the board's query essentially said "Project = XYZ" so that all issues WITHIN the project were on the board. Midway through the sprint, someone moved the issue to another project, one for which the PM did not have permissions.

Because the issue was no longer in the original project, it didn't show up on the board, BUT it was still in the sprint, and prevented the sprint from closing.  I had to go into the database to track down the rogue issue and move it back into the starting project to allow the PM to close the sprint.

@Rodney Nissen  I will test that hypothesis, it sounds interesting. 

Suggest an answer