new to Jira, I don't understand some stuff and i need informations

Hyakansha Jukidab June 11, 2019

Hi,

Our entreprise decide to get Jira and im in charge to install it under centos VM under vmware. My boss said i need 2 differents VM for it, one for the software and another one for the service. is it true? why do i need 2 vm and not only one? our vm server got around 100gb  ram left on it with around 48tb SSD with 2 xeon 14c/28t

Also, our goal is to get all our troubleshoot tickets from agents ( around 50-60 troubleshoot tickets per day 365 days / 24/7) at this place and setup projets with a kanban board and inventory management.

i went ahead and test the installation at my home since i didnt know how to install it byd following the tutorial up there.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-on-linux-938846841.html

It went fine except at the part where it asked where you wanna install it and i choose /opt/jira because default location didn't work at all . So it was okay or i should have choose a different location?

Im really new to centos, linux / jira. Someone can explain me why i would need 2 vm and why the default location didn't work when i followed the tutorial. what would be the vm requirement for the space for this.

Do i need something else or only centos /jira tutorial linked there will be fine ?

Thanks all

1 answer

0 votes
sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

Hi,

Jira is a java web application and currently you can host this  on prem in two modes.

1.Standalone

You can host this in single vm .Application and DB together.But i suggest using two vm so that you can separate DB and software.

2.Datacenter:

In this mode you can cluster jira so that if one node goes down other will be up.But you have to configure LB and a shared NAS volume for home directory.

/opt is the default location and should work.Can say more only by seeing the error in logs.

Suggest an answer