migrating to cloud and missing custom fields

Keighley Williams September 1, 2022

I am trying to migrate jira server to cloud, now coming up with issues of zephr not migrating?

How do I import test cycles into jira cloud as we are not upgrading zephr?

please help asap

3 answers

1 vote
Brad Peterson October 14, 2022

Hi @Keighley Williams

A native tool, Jira Cloud Migration Assistant does not support data migration between third-party tools (like Zephyr) on Jira. There is an open-source tool, Zephyr Migration Tool that can help in the migration of Zephyr test data from the Jira Server to Jira Cloud.   

However, just like any other tool, it too has a few limitations:

• Zephyr Test Data Migration runs project-by-project. When there’s more than one project, it takes manual effort to migrate all projects. 
  • Custom fields used in Test Steps and Test Execution are not migrated.
  • Execution history in the execution details is not migrated.

Depending on your use case, Zephyr Migration may be a viable option if the limitations mentioned above do not apply. Otherwise, a third-party migration tool is highly recommended.

OpsHub, an Atlassian partner, which has extensive experience in undertaking complex migration projects ensuring zero downtime, no data loss, systematic cut-over, and a factory approach, can be a good choice for the given job. It supports the migration of the entities, Test, Test Cycle, Test Execution, etc. from Jira Server Zephyr to Jira Cloud Zephyr.

Please reach out to OpsHub’s Migration Experts, for an initial free consultation on migration planning.

Thanks

Brad

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Keighley Williams 

Can I confirm first if you're using Smartbear's Zephyr migration pages/assistance?

Please see: https://support.smartbear.com/zephyr-squad-server/docs/get-started/cloud-migration-guide/index.html

If not, this might be a good starting point :)

Ste

i have seen this BUT we would need to upgrade our zephr from 6 to 7 and that would be a new license? which since we are moving to cloud , we obvs don't want to spend.

what about import of csv files, can you help there, please?

also, can we do only a handful of projects  and get like a 30 day license just for the migration @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hi @Keighley Williams

Few different questions here!

Zephyr

I assume based on your comment, your Atlassian/Zephyr maintenance license is expired?

I would recommend contacting either Atlassian or the App vendor in relation to this. As you're migrating to Cloud, they might be able to offer an option for you!

Import CSV Files

Do you mean exporting from Server, and importing into Cloud?

There's a pretty extensive guide here on importing - but some things I would bear in mind:

• Ensure your date format is correct, particularly for created/updated fields which can only be set in the past during the initial upload
  • Do your research on field types and the format they need to be in
  • Setup your Cloud instance's configuration first - I'd also ensure components/versions are already there in Projects, for ease
  • Do plenty of testing!

I would also look to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant as much as possible though, as CSV Imports have their limitations (eg. loss of Issue History), and it can also help with platform configuration.

Data Segmentation

You can choose to migrate all, some, or no Projects!

If you're using the Migration Assistant, check out the help documentation for more information.

Migrating to Cloud can be a good time to audit your platform as well - consider what data is no longer relevant, alongside options to consolidate/merge similar configuration (statuses, fields, schemes, etc).

I'd also recommend checking out:

Let us know if you have any further questions :)

Ste

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2022

@Keighley Williams did you manage to migrate your data? If you're open to idea of trying a 3rd party tool, I'd like to propose looking at ZigiOps. It's a no-code tool, that apart from connecting the systems bi-directionally can be used for migrating information (custom fields and other entities)from one instance to another (server to the cloud) without limitation. Feel free to reach out, in case you'd like to see how the ZigiOps tool can help you. 

Regards, Diana (ZigiWave team)

Suggest an answer