@mention a group of users at once

Murielle LEMAIRE-LAFAYETTE June 20, 2019

Hi there,

Is it possible to create a group of user  who refers to several users.

And to @mention them ?

Ex : I type "@Admin" and John, Bob & Sarah who are all Admin will receive a Jira notification.

3 answers

0 votes
Chris Covert September 28, 2022

If you have Advanced Road Maps you can create Virtual Teams (Plan based and global teams) that can be mentioned.  I'm not sure if ARM is out of the box with premium license. this is how we do it with Cloud Jira.

0 votes
rclukies1 January 10, 2020

Is it possible to have an Outlook email address that is a Distribution List (DL) of multiple emails, then add that email to Jira access to use that DL in the Mentions?

Julien Bonastre December 14, 2020

Yes, that works and it's what we do.. of course it's suboptimal as the DL group is managed completely independently of Jira/Atlassian plus it has no direct real tie-in to logical users within your Jira/Atlassian products, but it "does the job" until Atlassian develop this well deserving feature

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2019

Hi Murielle and welcome to the Community. There is no way to do this OOTB. I found this one addon - Mentions & Watchers - that is available for Server/Datacenter but not Cloud.

Murielle LEMAIRE-LAFAYETTE June 20, 2019

Hello @Jack Brickey thank a lot for your quick imput.

We are using the cloud application.

But I will still have a look to your link.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2019

for cloud I did not find an addon but you can have a look maybe there is a solution out there. I have never considered this before but see where it could be useful.

Rick Christy (He/Him) August 1, 2022

In Cloud you can simply create a Team in Jira. Add the members there, and your @ mention will work by team.

From menu:

People -> Create Team -> Name team -> Add members

Then @ mention team name will @ mention them as a macro sorta. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

@Rick Christy (He/Him) , yes indeed Teams is a new and welcome offering in 2022. Thanks for updating the thread!

Suggest an answer