logging work against sub tasks

Aamer Inam: M-3521 June 26, 2014

Hello ,

I have created stories and sub tasks . Created a workflow that traves from open-> in developement -> in testing -> done -> closed . I entered story points as reference . As in sub tasks I have entered original and remaining estimates while creating sub tasks . I am able to log work but when i see the agile classic graph in hours , it only shows a line with 0 hours , where as a certain number of hours added against those items and they are in closed status .

Secondly i am assigning these tasks to a single user and adding hours starting form the sprint date . e.g. May 19 ,2014 . what step I am missing to see the logged hours to see the overall hours burn down chart ....like i have ten stories and every one of them contains one or more sub tasks and hours are logged against each item .

need urgent response please . second part of the question is that can I assign a task to a group because in our scenario , one person is managing a team of 5 members and we are assigning task to that lead only who enter composite effort against that item .

4 answers

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2014

@Aamer, with this comment, "I am able to log work but when i see the agile classic graph in hours , it only shows a line with 0 hours", I'm wondering about one thing: Are you using the classic boards or are you using the rapid boards? Because, if you are using the rapid boards, the agile burndown will not work, as referenced here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Using+the+Agile+Classic+Hour+Burndown+Chart+Gadget:

Note that this page only applies if you are using the Classic Boards (which are no longer being actively developed; read more).

At least to me this tell me that if you are using the rapid boards for managing the sprints, the classic burndown will not work.

This seems to be correct, because I am having the same problem as you if I add it to the wallboard (and we are using the rapid boards).

You can have the agile sprint burndown gadget showing hours (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Using+the+Sprint+Burndown+Gadget). But you need to have two different boards. One configured for estimation using story points and one configured for estimation using hours. Then you link one gadget to the board with the story points and one gadget to the board with the hours. I just tried this and it work quite fine.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2014

Did this work for you @Aamer?

Aamer Inam: M-3521 July 8, 2014

No It did not work for me . Secondly As far as board is concerned , I simply go to Agile -> Manage Boards and add a new one . Can you please help identify the difference betwen rapid board and classic one ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2014

For the first part of the question, I'd need to ask if you are managing to close the stories the sub-tasks belong to? (Also, be very clear - are you burning down on story points or estimates?)

Aamer Inam: M-3521 June 27, 2014

Let me explain you the way I am working . I have created a story and added up sub tasks linked with the story . The time estimates , original and remaining ones are added at sub task level whereas Story points are mentioned both in Story and Sub tasks . I have a customized work flow that traverse between Open to In Dev , In Test , Resolved and finally gets closed . I am burning down on estimates .

So whenever I start a sub task , at each status point i logg the work , and eventually close it , and then close the story that follows the same steps as in statuses traversing what sub tasks do. Please let me know If you need more detail. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2014

Ok, that sounds right to me. There's a long discussion on this at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/204982/story-points-subtasks-burndown-chartwhich may help.

Here is a slight difference in my scenario , in my case my sub tasks are 100% complete instead of 90 % as discussed in the referenced discussion . Could you kindly help more ...

Aamer Inam: M-3521 June 29, 2014

Need urgent response please .

that discussion talks about sub tasks not completed 100 % . In my case , sub tasks are completed 100% , time estimates are initially put in at sub task level and in story , only story points are entered . as far as estimation option is based on estimated hours ...and after logging work , burn down hours display a flat line with 0 on the y axis ...need help to find where I am doing wrong .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2014

I'm not sure what the issue is, given that discussion covers what you've asked. What am I missing?

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2014

I believe he is referring to this part Nic: "I am able to log work but when i see the agile classic graph in hours , it only shows a line with 0 hours , where as a certain number of hours added against those items and they are in closed status ."

yes this is what I am talking about .

Hema October 8, 2020

Does Jira solved this issue? I have worked on Rally and as we all know it process task time tracking very differently. Please let me know how are we handling velocity (individual resource time) and capacity (team level - story point) in Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

There is nothing to solve.  Jira's assumption is that you are doing Scrum, so you put story points on stories as the Scrum/Sprint estimates. 

If you then want to log estimated time and work done on stories and sub-tasks that's fine.  Scrum has nothing to say about time estimates and worklogs, so it'll work fine.

The one mistake a lot of people now make is that they do not understand what Scrum is actually doing and they go put some form of Scrum/Sprint estimates on sub-tasks.  This means you are no longer doing anything like Scrum, and wrecks all the reporting making your estimates and velocity worthless. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2014

To answer the second part of the question, you can't. Jira doesn't do "assign to group" - this is deliberate and by design (and, in my experience, a very very good approach for real-world working). You can, create fields to represent an assigned group responsible to help work alongside assignee, but the assignee is, and always should be, a single responsible user.

And how about the first part of the question , where I am not able to view the logged hours in burn down chart ?

0 votes

Any one , please respond , need urgent response.

Suggest an answer