jira software not letting us close items that already have time logged on them.

Chris Ranglas May 3, 2017

This could be poor workflow design on our part but here is what we are experienceing. 

We have made TIME SPENT required on the transition (validator) to CLOSED status. The problem is when user moves an item WHICH ALREADY HAS time spent to CLOSED status, we get an error saying TIME SPENT is required and are prevented from changing status to CLOSED unless we add more time on the Resolution screen. 

If anyone has suggestions on how to correct this, I would love to hear them.

Ultimiately we just want to make sure that by the time an issue in Closed status, there is some time on it. 

we are on jira v7.2.1 and have tempo timesheets

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

You've used a validator which is checking current input on the transition, and not the value of the work logged.  I'd change it to say "validate that work logged is larger than zero OR time spent is updated"

Chris Ranglas July 24, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-.  I like that suggestion. part of the reason I got stuck was I did not see a way to do that with the out of the box Validator options. Do I need to use script runner or marketplace add-on to accomplish that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

Yes, I'm afraid you will need a bit of code to do that.  ScriptRunner is a natural choice for me, but that's because I can throw questions at Jamie's team when I get stuck.

Chris Ranglas July 25, 2017

Cool. Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for pointing us in the right direction.

Suggest an answer