jira search

Jon Lazzarino August 1, 2019

I know that it is possible to search for text matches in the body of issues, for instance if I have a project titled Hello World and I have an issue associated with the Hello World project that contains the phrase Goodbye Charlie, I can create a search query to find all issues that have the word Goodbye using the query:

Text ~ Goodbye

I find that sometimes it works but there are references or portions that are not picked up....so i'm wondering if there is a wildcard or something that can be added or what suggestions there are out there?

example, I have a client contact email address in the body of a ticket, jonsmith@xyz.com. I want to find all references to any emails that have the same email domain xyz.com, how do I search for this? 

6 answers

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

For now there is  a work around using the plugin .

Here is the query

issue in fieldMatch("project in (helpdesk1) ", "Summary","*@gmail.com")

But you have to provide the project names where this search will work, or you can use any jql sub query other than project which is generic.

Actually below are the query requirements

issue in fieldMatch(jql-subquery, field-name, regexp)
0 votes

Thanks Pavel,

I have added my voice to the ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-6218

What I need and many others do to though is the ability to query using a wildcard at the start of the string....I need a query like:

text ~ "*@xyz.com"

which isn't supported...nor is any other variation.

From the ticket, I see that we're actually 14 yrs into it and still no progress, so I should set realistic expectations and instead of waiting for a fix, I should look for workarounds....

Does anyone have any workarounds or ideas around how to get something like this done?

In this particular case I'm looking to find all related email contact info so if there are tickets with abc@xyz.com,, cba@xyz.com , gfh@xzy.com I want to run a query to find them all...

I would appreciate if anyone has any good ones to share? Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2019

Hi @Jon Lazzarino ,

OK :)

You can use Wildcard *:

text ~ Good*

For your examle, you can try this:

description ~ john@*

Unfortunately, it doesn't work vice versa 

description ~ *@xyz.com

Please see oficial Atlassian ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-6218

Pavel 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2019

Hi Jon - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You don't have to put project in the search/filter. You should simply have summary ~ goodbye. 

However, only certain fields have the ability to do text searches. See this documentation for more guidance:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/advanced-searching-functions-reference-861257222.html

If you need specific syntax help - just post exactly what you are looking for.  :-)

I hope that helps!

0 votes

Hi @Pavel Junek

Thank you for the response....sorry, I updated my question to add more clarity.....I want to do a global search, I don't know the project name for instance....please see my original question, I've updated it. :-)

thanks in advance.

Jon

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2019

Hi @Jon Lazzarino ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Yes, it is possible. Use this documentation Search syntax for text fields.

You find text eg.

Issues -> Search for issues:

project = "Hello World" and text ~ "Goodbye"

Pavel 

Suggest an answer