jira says our license is exceeded

Michael J George March 31, 2021

We have a 10-user license for Confluence and Jira.  We have created 10 users in each one, but Jira says that we have exceeded our license for Jira.  It appears that Jira counts Administrator as one of the users?  That doesn't seem right...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2021

Hi Michael,

That is absolutely correct and as it should be. There is a logical flaw in the expectation that an administrator should be able to access an application without a license. A license qualifies as a ticket for admission and an instance cannot be administrated without access.

I wish I could provide a solution, but you're just trying to game the system and the solution is to pony up the money for an appropriate license tier. You get what you get when you're not playing by the rules. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

Thank you for your answer, but we are not trying to "game the system".  Confluence doesn't make the same complaint and allows 10 users in addition to the Administrator.  I would be happy to move to the next license tier, but the Server licenses are no longer sold.

I would be happy to move to the Cloud version, but we are a NERC-CIP installation and Atlassian does not yet offer a Cloud solution that will pass audit for us.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

Would a move to Data Center be possible? And yes, Joshua is correct that the Administrator user also uses a license in Jira. 

A move to Data Center would be possible in theory, but we need 11-20 seats.  Data Center minimum is 500 seats for $42,000US.

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2021

Thank you for the additional information and my apologies Michael. I reread your post and was wrong when I thought you had multiple  installs of a single app.

You are experiencing the primary pain point in Atlassian's push for Cloud and you have the fortunate position of not having to decide, unfortunately that means over purchasing a license to continue. Rock vs. hard place. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events