jira automation if all story closed then the parent issue move to closed

Sunil kumar October 17, 2021

jira automation if all story closed then the parent issue move to closed 

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2021

Hi @Sunil kumar 

Given the number of levels in your issue hierarchy, I recommend using separate rules for each level pairing.  For example:

• when Story moved to done, if all Stories for the same parent are done, move the Feature to done
  • when Feature moved to done, if all Features for the Epic parent are done, move the Epic to done
  • when Epic moved to done, if all Epics for the Initiative parent are done, move the Initiative to don

This leveling will help when implementing the variations in linkage types and make visible any problems.

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2021

Hi @Sunil kumar 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!!

Yes this is possible with the related issues action and condition! Here's an example.

Here's what this does:

The rule is triggered when any issue is transitioned

Next we check with a JQL condition that the issue was a story and it's now set to 'Done'

Then we branch off using the related issues action for the Epic of this story

We then check if all stories in this Epic match status = Done

If that's true we transition the Epic to 'Done' as well

Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA 2017-01-19 08-27-16.png

Hope this works for you!!!

Cheers,

Mayur

Sunil kumar October 17, 2021

Hi Mayur,

Initiative

Child(Issue link)-       Epics

Epic link-      Features

Child (Issue link) -  Stories

Actual am looking for if I Move all story in Done status then the higher hierarchical levels should move to done status.

Could you please share the above mentioned Automation.

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2021

I am not sure it will work for all, Let me try this on my test instance and will come back to you!!!

Suggest an answer