is there a way to set status to close when epic status changed to Mark as Done?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

I would like to update Status and Resolution fields when Epic Status set to Mark as Done. Is it possible?

5 answers

1 vote
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2013

I've written up a procedure that can make the Epic Status follow Workflow Status, which makes Epics start behaving like everything else (sigh of relief). Try this out: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/HowTo%3A+Track+Epics+in+the+Control+Chart

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

The whole Epic Status field feels wrong to me. Agile is built on JIRA which already has a workflow engine. I know it would mean selecting a status to mean Done for all workflows that a board could use, but that would have been possible. Now we've got a field that confuses board users. Grr.

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2013

Speaking to the team, we want to make sure that Epic Status is not constrained to Workflow unless people want it to be.

Hung Nguyen February 9, 2017

Now, if we NEED to tie Status and Epic Status together, how can we do it?

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

Agreed!

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

If you want to change the epic (and not the connected task), you can try to use Script runner plugin and the listener.

I don't know if the "mark as done" of epic triggers the "issue edit event"

In the listener of script runner plugin you have the "Fast-track transition an issue "

Or you can create a dashboard for epics and modify the workflow, where when u close the issue, the epic status will be values with done.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

I'd rather hide Epic Status entirely and have my workflow set it when done so that the Epic goes off the board. It's a pain that it is locked

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

Hi, Matt! We want to keep Mark as Done so I could not hide Epic Status.

Hi Fabrizia, Listener implementation is a better and easy option if "Mark as Done" triggers "issue edit event". Have you tried?

Hung Nguyen February 9, 2017

Have anyone succeeded with Script runner plugin's Listener and Fast-track transition an issue? I set it up, and it fires up on editing Epic to Done, and finishes successfully, but it didn't transition to issue like we expected. No debug log is seen.

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

Are you saying you'd like to update the Story issues that are associated with the Epic, or that you want to automatically update the status and resolution of the Epic itself?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

Hi Justin, I want to update status and resolution of issues upon selection of "Mark as Done"

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

Srinivas,

If I understand you correctly, I believe you want to make a change to an epic, and have the associated issues change status and resolution. I don't believe it's possible to do that. You'd have to have a custom plugin or script for that.

-Justin

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2013

Hi Justin, I am not thinking about the associated issues with the update of epic status. Just thinking about the issue status and resolution with the update of Epic Status field. Would it trigger "issue edit event" on the update of Epic Status field?

Nicola Barton February 1, 2016

@Justin Leader - did you find a way of achieving this? I want to do the same, although I'm on the cloud version so can't use script runner.

Suggest an answer