index files are either missing or corrupted

Fabrice Bovy June 6, 2017

I got the message :

"JIRA is unable to perform a background re-index at this time because the index files are either missing or corrupted."

I already re-indexed by locking JIRA but this message still appears...

What can I do ?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

This sounds like the system is having problems writing to the index files.

I would want to read the logs for the system around the time it is trying to index and see what errors are physically happening.

However, whatever they say, you will probably end up with the same fix list:

1. Check that the permissions on the index directories are correct
  2. Check you have enough disk space (at least twice the size of the current index free)
  3. If the errors in the logs are add-on related, then it's likely that you'll want to remove or fix the offending add-on
  4. Stop JIRA
  5. Move the whole index directory to somewhere safe
  6. Start JIRA
  7. A lot of it will look broken, but admin links will still work - perform another full index

That will recreate a clean set of indices without any blocking errors hopefully.

Fabrice Bovy June 29, 2017

I tried your solution but I still got the same message error...

I looked in log file and found this :

"2017-06-29 16:24:38,265 http-bio-80-exec-18 WARN bvf 984x21682x1 7b60xt 10.170.234.22 /secure/admin/jira/IndexAdmin.jspa [jira.issue.index.IndexConsistencyUtils] Index consistency check failed for index 'Comment': expectedCount=414488; actualCount=243768"

How can I correct the problem ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

Ok, that usually points to a broken add-on writing junk to the index.

Are there any errors thrown when action 7 is run on the list before?

Suggest an answer