how to stop same sprint appearing on multiple boards?

Lee Packham January 25, 2023

Hi All,

My Jira setup:

I have a single project with multiple boards; 3 feature team scrum boards and 1 master scrum board.

Each feature team is independent from the other and work on different tickets but all belong to the same Jira project.  All tickets are mastered on the master scrum board and relevant ones are then also shown on one of the feature team boards.

Each Feature team scrum board has its own Sprint.  There are no Sprints set up from the master scrum board.

Question:

How do I stop the feature teams sprints from showing on the master scrum board?

Thanks,

Lee

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hello @Lee Packham 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

A Sprint will appear on a board if it meets any of the following conditions:

1. The sprint was created in that board.

2. The sprint has an issue in it that is within the scope of the Filter Query for that board.

The issues that display in a board are governed by the Filter Query for the board. An issue can be displayed in multiple boards because boards can have Filter Queries that retrieve overlapping sets of issues (as you see by having a master board and boards for each team).

Jira doesn't limit the addition of issues to a Sprint to only the issues in the board where the sprint was created, as the filters for boards may change at any time. Jira also allows the addition of issues to Sprints by directly editing the Sprint field in an issue.

Subsequently, an issue my be assigned to a sprint created on any board.

Additionally an issue can be in only one Active or Planned sprint at a time.

Because of that, once the issue has been assigned to a sprint, any Scrum board that displays that issue will show that sprint. This is an indicator that the issues in that board that are already assigned to an Active or Planned sprint can't be simultaneously assigned to another Active or Planned sprint.

If you don't want one team's sprints to show on another team's board you need to do two things:

1. Set the filter of the boards so that they do not present overlapping sets of issues.

2. Educate your users to not assign the issues to sprints outside their board.

To help with #2 also educate your users to name there sprints in a manner that makes it obvious in which board they were created. Jira allows duplicate Sprint names in the system. If all teams using the naming convention "Sprint 1", "Sprint 2", etc. it will be hard to determine which "Sprint 1" belongs to which team/board.

Lee Packham January 27, 2023

Thank you!  really appreciated :-)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2023

If your question has been answered, please consider marking the Answer(s) as Accepted to help other users find the posts with working solutions.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Lee Packham 

You need to control what issues appear in those boards. Is same issue appears on multiple boards (using board filter) then the board will also show associated Sprints. What is the purpose of your master SCRUM board? May be create a KANBAN board instead or rely on a dashboard?

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Lee Packham January 27, 2023

Thank you!  i wanted a central location where everything created against the project would be shown...a kind of 'catch all'.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events