how to modify a field type after creation

GASPARINI-COZ May 2, 2019

I have created a field with select list (multi choice) instead  select list (single choice).

how can I now simply update this type?

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

Unfortunately this cannot be done. As you can imagine this could become very challenging should Issues with data exist.

GASPARINI-COZ May 2, 2019

thank you very much for the reactivity. I will create a new field and delete the old one

0 votes
Answer accepted
Haran Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2019

@GASPARINI-COZ  , The simple way is to create a new custom field of the same name in type select list (single choice). Replace the same in the corresponding screens. Unfortunately you cannot directly update or change the current one. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2019

Hi @GASPARINI-COZ 

This is currently not possible in the application.

The way Jira reads and stores values for different field types makes this difficult. For example, some are stored as string while others are stored as options which are mapped to the actual value.

Do check here for an official Atlassian answer or to raise a feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer