how to customize what fields will a user see?

sn May 16, 2017

hi,

we use JIRA7.3 and we i have below questions-

1) i am trying to see how to customize what fields a user can see on different issue operations. i thought the way to do this is either remove the field in screen or hide the field in the field configuration.

why would i choose one over the other ?

2) when i limit what fields appear on the screen and i have it set to "All" under Configure fields. 

can each user pick what can be viewed( by choosing all or custom).will this be the same across all projects for the issue create?

i see different fields in the edit issue page. so, do i need to configure fields for each issue operation screen ?

thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

Forget the "customise fields" thing, it is not relevant to the question here.  The customise fields option is for the current user only, and it allows them to choose what fields they have on a screen.  You, as the admin set up the screens, and you, as the admin, don't really care if they choose to hide some fields from their own views.  If a field is mandatory because you say so, and they hide it, tough.  They'll need to show it so they can edit it. 

Your job as an admin is to work with all the fields that are supposed to be in a process, not dictate individual users personal settings.

For the "what fields show when", see https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Software-questions/field-configuration-or-screen-configuration-help-please/qaq-p/587218

sn May 16, 2017

thanks nic.

thats what i thought. i was asked to see if we can limit some fields for issuetypes on a per project basis and they were under the impression that the user can anyhow see all fields by clicking on "all" on the screen. i wanted to make sure thats not the case.

Suggest an answer