how to add link or name to an epic ?

Roxan Bavarchi December 2, 2022

Hi every one, 

i work a lot with the research, and i have tried to search for issue with their epic. Ive tried to add the colomn "Epic Link" or "Epic Link" but its always empty, on the reserch or the export to excel.

How do i fix this ?

Thanks to all !

Roxan BAVARCHI

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This is quite a complex setup, although Atlassian are in the process of simplifying it at long last.

• An Epic issue has a field called "Epic Name" that you always have to fill in.  It does not have the field "Epic Link".
  • Base level issues (Story for example) do not have an "Epic Name", but they can have the "Epic link" field.  You make an issue part of an Epic by selecting the Epic from the Epic link field (which will then display the Epic name from the Epic you select).  The Epic link is not mandatory be default, and you don't have to have it on the create or edit screen - you may need to check that, as Patrik has mentioned.

So, if you are creating an Epic, you fill in the Epic Name, and if you are creating or editing an issue to be part of an Epic, you fill in the Epic link.  

Both of the fields will come out in a CSV export, in separate columns.

However.  If you are using a "team managed" project, that is a different story.  Issues are not linked via Epic name and Epic link, they are linked via the "parent" field.  The Epic fields are mostly empty (or non-existent) in team-managed projects.

So, if you are trying to report on a TMP, include the fields Parent and Parent name in the export.

Atlassian are moving Company Managed projects to be more like the more simple and intuitive 

Roxan Bavarchi May 3, 2023

Thanks a lot ! Sorry it has been a long time, and we never find how to fill the name off an epic, so we just dont use it ! 

actually we can fill them, but we cant use them in JQL. JQL cant find epic name, and we like to work with that. 

I hope Jira can do something about epic in the futur ! Thanks a lot

0 votes
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2022

Hello @Roxan Bavarchi

It seems that this field is missing from your issue view. Ask your Jira administrator to add it for you.

They might have to check: 

• Field configuration
  • Field Screen
  • Project and issue type scope

thanks for the answer, but i am the Jira administrator of this project, and i dont have the field "name" setting !

0 votes

I found a documentation on the ofccial website of Jira, about Epic, and ... its not what i have on mine ! 

Jira -> (as you can see their is "Epic Name")2.png

Mine -> (No "Epic Name")

3.jpg

thanks for your help, we are actually blocked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events