how to add dependencies on jira issues

Alex Saavedra May 22, 2018

i want to create\enable dependencies so one issue cant be started if there is another issue unfinished behind it

if its imposible to create\enable that option on jira, is there a plugin on cloud that might help me with this problem?

sorry for my english, 

Thank you

2 answers

3 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

Hi Alex,

Your English is fine :)

Jira has an "Issue Links" field that will allow you to link an issue with another to create the connection and set the type of link to "Blocks" or "Is Blocked by." "Has to be done before" or other dependency types. 

This is standard functionality, if you do not have access to this field your Jira admin will need to add it to the field and screen schemes.

Hope this helps, 

-Scott

Hi Scott,

im jira admin so dont worry about that

i have tried issue links before and it didnt help because it works like a warning not like a rule that you must follow to keep the workflow going on

or the issue link option has been update recently?

Thank you

Like # people like this
2 votes
Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

Hi @Alex Saavedra

Try Automation, probable it is the best option to create automation between issues.

Cheers!

Hi Leo,

maybe if there is no option to dependencies on jira itself i will try the plugin Automation

Thank you

Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2018

Yes, because without apps, links are only links in Jira...

Domi September 20, 2021

@Leo Diaz _ DEISER I'm curious about dependencies and automations. Can they work together? I'd like to block an issue before another one is done within an automation. Is this doable?

Suggest an answer