how do I merge two labels?

claudia cunningham November 2, 2017

Unfortunately in our project some tickets are labeled with the wrong label. I would like to merge the two labels without searching first for all tickets and update all of them manually. How do I do that?

2 answers

1 vote
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2019

Hi Claudia,

(Note: The question is about Jira but first answer is giving solution to Confluence labels)

There is no such built-in feature in Jira and generally labels management is quite hard. In order to solve this problem, we have released an add-on: Label Manager for Jira Cloud

As name suggests, it currently works for Jira Cloud. Using this add-on, you can merge two labels by renaming the one you do not need.

For example, if you have two labels "IPhone" and "iOS" and only want to keep last one, just rename label "iPhone" to "iOS". This will update all the existing issues without you having to do anything.

Not only merging or renaming, it has many other useful features:

- View all labels in single place

- Number of issues under a label

- Entirely delete or remove labels

If you have any issues or feature requests, feel free to contact us.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

Hi Claudia,

there is no bulk change for labels out of the box. You need to install apps from the marketplace for that purpose.

This one is promising exactly what you want: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.kostebekteknoloji.plugins.confluence.confluence-label-manager/server/overview

But it is not for free and you have to try, if it fits your need. I haven't tried this app yet.

claudia cunningham November 8, 2017

thanks a lot :-)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

@claudia cunningham, you're welcome :-)

If you think, your question is answered, please mark it as answered. 

Other users find answered questions more easy with such a marker.

Thank you.

Suggest an answer