how do I Restart JIRA when hosted on AWS?

NickB December 18, 2017

I have Jira V5.05 running through Amazon web services. 

I just bought a new JIRA licence key and applied it. It seems to have worked because my user limit has changed correctly. 

The version hasn't changed though. (should it have done?) 

The reason I bought a new license was because I want to use the xray plugin which requires a newer version than the one I was using.

I have installed the plugin and entered its license key but I'm getting this error message "This plugin will be installed when the application is restarted"

I restarted the instance through AWS but this hasn't made a difference. 

Some instructions of what steps to take now would be very much appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

A licence is just that, a key that enables functions in a system (In Jira's case, more users are enabled)

An upgrade is a different task - you need to run a set of these as a project, to get yourself up to a supported version.  (I'd go 5.0 to 5.latest, to 6.1 to 6.latest to 7.0 then whatever 7.x you want to end up with)

NickB December 18, 2017

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. 

In fact, my license key dropped me from 50 users to 10 users. I only bought it as I was told I needed to renew my subscription in order to use the latest version of jira and therefore xray. And I cant afford to renew our old 50 user package. 

I'm now reading about how to upgrade my jira version

NickB December 18, 2017

all the info i'm finding references upgrades to linux or windows. I cant find anything of what to do if Jira is hosted on AWS. 

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this as I'm a novice, and didn't set it up originally. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

AWS is a container that will be running Windows or Linux for you.  You'll need to log into it and get to the Jira installation, so you can download the versions you'll need and run them on the server so they do the upgrades.

Backups and testing are your friend here.

NickB December 18, 2017

Nic, thanks again for the reply. might you be able to point me in the direction of any documentation that I can follow to make this happen?

I've spent all afternoon reading docs that are full of so much tech jargon and acronyms that I'm not even sure they're referencing the correct procedures. 

NickB December 19, 2017

is there some paid service where I can buy some customer support?

Atlassian say they don't offer such a service and I cant fathom this documentation.  I've got around 10hrs invested in attempting to make this happen so far and am not getting anywhere. So it would be more cost effective to buy some customer support at this point

NickB December 19, 2017

I've tried this link https://www.atlassian.com/partners/search 
but it's broken (on safari/chrome/firefox) and isn't displaying any partners

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2017

I've always used the command line to restart AWS stuff (and investigate the logs) - http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AccessingInstancesLinux.html seems like one of the more recent guides.

The partner search page works fine for me on Safari and Firefox, so I suspect there's something on your network or browsers breaking something.

Suggest an answer