filtering sub tasks according to it's story status in Jira Cloud

dorin gez March 25, 2021

Hello,

Can I filter sub tasks which related only to an open stories without using ScriptRunner?

With automation maybe?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2021

Hi @dorin gez  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Depending upon any other criteria you have, I expect you can do this.  You could use LookupIssues, Create Variable, and Branches to dynamically build a JQL query that is not possible with out-of-the-box Jira.  And...

What problem are you trying to solve by doing that?

Best regards,

Bill

dorin gez March 30, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy , thank you very much!

I want to know which sub-tasks are open for open stories only.

From what I understand, this cannot be done with basic JQL...

Best regards,

Dorin

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2021

Thanks for explaining that.  Please let the community know if you need help when you create the rule. 

And, consider posting an image of your rule and marking this question as answered when done.  That will help others with the same question find solutions faster.  Thanks!

Like dorin gez likes this
dorin gez March 31, 2021

Hi bill,

I did not completely understand your solution..  I would be happy if you could refer me to more info on the subject or expand your answer.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2021

I realized you can mostly solve this with just JQL.  The question is how do you want to access the list of sub-tasks?   If you just need the list...

For example, if you use the following query and add the subtasks field to the results...

project = myProject
AND issueType = Story
AND statusCategory != Done
ORDER BY subtasks ASC

The open issues with sub-tasks will be at the top of the list and the sub-task keys will be shown in the results.

dorin gez April 25, 2021

Hi Bill, Thanks so much for the detailed explanation.
Apparently I explained myself the other way around - I'm new to the community and still learning it.
I would like to find all the stories and not the sub-tasks i.e., filter by an open story and present all its sub-tasks.

I think I need a nested query for this but do not know how to do it, can you direct me to relevant material on the subject?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2021

Hi @dorin gez 

You now indicate that you need a nested query; however, you cannot do a nested query with out-of-the-box Jira Cloud.  You would need a JQL add-on from the marketplace.  Please search here for possible options:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=JQL

dorin gez April 27, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Now that's understandable, thank you very much

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events