field to use to set business priority for bug

Ann Marie Kjerland May 23, 2017

We currently use Priority field to give the severity of an issue (high, med, low). I'd like to have another field in to help determine the business priority to fix a bug.  For example, if you had something such as a spelling error in your UI which doesn't impact the usability of the product, but would be a big issue for a customer to see.  In this case, we would change the bug priority to high to ensure it gets in the developer que to get fixed.   I’d like to have a field added to the jira bug that highlights the business priority to fix an issue.  Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2017

You can do that a couple of ways. Simple drag the issue higher or lower in the column to show priority. 

Or you can create a custom field that has the values you would like for that issue. Then you can create a quick filter or swimlane to show those issues separately.

So Jira doesn't have another field to indicated business priority on bugs unless you create a custom one?  Thanks for the feedback..

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2017

I would actually switch your method above where I would create a "severity" custom field and use the Priority field as intended for priorizatation. That way new folks added to the team would not get confused. But it sounds like eiither way that you go you're trying to use a combination of two fields where there is only one priority field in JIRA. 

You could hijack other fields like the story points field to show that if you didn't want to create a custom field. But you would need to be very clear in your documenation and communication of how that field is being used. 

thanks for the info! 

Suggest an answer