field configuration or screen configuration..help please

sn May 15, 2017

hi all,

We have JIRA 7.3 server.

In our company , we are trying to have specific custom field to be used by a group of projects and for specific issue types. im a little confused about screen, filed and issutype screen schemes and their applications.

how can i do this.

1)create a field configuration for custom field and issue type combination.

2) create a field configuration scheme to have different field configurations

3) associate to projects

4) how to link them to the issue operations ?

i read the documentation but i am confused as to when and how should i be using screen configuration schemes and issue type screen configurations?

Thanks1

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

Points 1-3 aren't really good to answer in that discrete order so...

JIRA's projects and issues use "schemes" for their configuration.  Some schemes are  project only (notification, security, etc) and others go down to the issue level.

Field configurations are a 2-layer scheme.  The first layer (a "field configuration scheme") tells JIRA "in this project, use these field configurations for these issue types".  So you can say "in projects 1, 2, 3 and 4, a bug uses field config AAA, a feature uses field config BBB and all the others use field config CCC".  Then "in project 5 and 6, bug uses DDD and everything else uses CCC"

Issue type screen schemes are 3 layers though.  The issue type screen scheme tells a project which screen schemes to use for each issue type.  The screen schemes tell you which screens to use for Create, view and edit, and then the last layer is the screen, which says which fields are used when the screen is shown to the user

That last paragraph covers half of point 4, as it tells you how a screen is selected for Create, Edit and view, but it misses the other half of the story, in that you can also use screens in workflow transitions.  You can reuse screens, or have totally independent ones.

Note that field configurations apply at the project/issue level, NOT workflow.

sn May 15, 2017

thanks nic.

so, basically to have a field populate on a screen for project can be done either by limiing the field on the screen or reusing a default screen but limiting the fileds through field configurations ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

Yes.

Suggest an answer