email logging in jira cloud

Andrew Benson August 19, 2019

Background:

I'm operating as defacto admin and have a user stating that they're not receiving emails for ticket updates.

Current Issue:

Despite looking through documentation, I can't find any email logging options in the admin section of our cloud instance.

Searching for logging returns no results.

Can someone advise on where I've mis-stepped?

I would have thought that a feature like this would be easier to surfae!

thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

Hi @Andrew Benson

Unfortunately the logging of outbound notifications is not currently available. I checked the two possible sections this would be in and neither are showing emails sent from Jira.

• Jira Settings > System > Audit Log (System Audit Log)
  • Jira Settings > Products > Email Requests > View Log (Email Requests for JSD Audit log. Only shows incoming emails)

The only other way this could be logged is if the email was made via a custom automation in JSD. Automations have logs for all successful, errors and failed automations. That still wouldn't show if they received the email but that would at least show if that automation ran or not and it would show on what ticket it ran on.

I kept digging and I found a feature request for this. I recommend watching and adding a vote/comment to it so Atlassian knows you want this feature.

thanks for the response @Cody Stevens 

I've set up a watch on the ticket you mentioned so here's hoping!

Like Cody Stevens likes this
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

Of course, I am glad I could help! I also think this is a valuable feature so I added a vote to it as well!

Something else to consider is when I was a Jira Admin I noticed alot of my users made email filters that would automatically move Jira emails into folders and other automatic rules. That could be happening with your user and they may have forgotten about it. May be worth checking out!

Yeah - tests against my own user. and acting as seem to point to something outside of the jira ecosystem, but it would be nice to be able to rule out.

4 votes
Brian Oconnell April 8, 2020

Users have been requesting a basic email log for at least 8 years in this community.

What is going on Atlassian?

2 votes
Ethan V. November 12, 2019

Why is this feature continued to be ignored by Atlassian?

Some corporations require a paper trail of emails sent out, but in the case of Jira AND Confluence, the answer is "Nope, it is impossible."

How frustrating.

These people are too busy writing idiotic blogs about climate change and putting in new Jira Labs features that break existing functionality, and refuse to give this seemingly simple feature. M.maillogger on Jira Server was pretty good, but there's nothing similar to it on Cloud at all.

What is the solution?

Suggest an answer