display linked issues fields in filter resul

Golan Davidovits July 11, 2017

Hi,

Let's say i have an issue from some type with linked issue of another type.

I would like to create a filter result that will display columns of both the main issue and the linked issue. Is it possible?

I know that JQL allows to create rules against the linked issue, but i haven't seen a way to control the display columns.

Alernatively, is there any dashboard gadget that gives better visibility to the linked issues fields (but from filter result view, not just from single instance of an issue)? 

Thanks,

Golan

2 answers

1 vote
LukaszPiastka May 19, 2022

Hi, @Golan Davidovits 

I have the same problem as you had couple years ago ;)

Did you find any solution for that?

1 vote
Nicolas Seronvalle July 11, 2017

Hi,

To make sure I get it, what you want to achieve is to show some specific columns when using a saved filter?

Because it works like that with Jira. The filter also saves the columns you use.

I want to run some filter and see in the display columns both fields from the main issue and the linked issue (which is of other type).

Alternatively, to get somehow in the filter result more visibility to the linked issue (not just its key).  

Nicolas Seronvalle July 11, 2017

Great, then Jira lets you do this quite easily. In your filter search you only need to select the columns to display and it will be saved with your filter configuration. You can refer to the documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/configuring-issue-table-columns-720412300.html 

Thanks for your willing to help :-)

I think you still miss my intention though.

The standard columns selection doesn't support (as far as i see) such a feature like "Link" -> column.

What it does support is a column called "Links" which shows you a link to the other issue (with issue Key as title).  What i want to see are some specific columns from this child issue in the same filter result of the parent (like its status).

Golan

Nicolas Seronvalle July 12, 2017

Alright thank you for the clarifications :-) 

So for instance you would like to see on the same line in the results :

[Issue key parent ; summary parent; Linked issue ; details child ]

[A-1 ; This is a summary of A-1 ; A-2; Details of A-2]

In Jira you will get this result on two lines, for instance:

[Issue key parent ; summary parent; issue key child ; details child ]

[A-1 ; This is a summary of A-1; A-2;  Details of A-1   ]

[A-2 ; This is a summary of A-2 ; A-1 ; Details of A-2]

It's not possible to have this on one line in the filter result nor with a standard gadget on the dashboard.

You might explore the capabilities of some plugins. It could help you get the visibility you need ( Links Hierarchy , Links Explorer , ...)

Golan Davidovits July 12, 2017

Thanks Nicolas

You got me right this time :-)

About your answer:

1. How do you generate this two lines filter result? Is it possible at all if the fields are different between the types?

2. I have checked the mentioned gadgets. They don't support this use case (as far as i can see).

Do you know and solution that does hover for details on links? Or maybe some dashboard dependent filters (when you press on one selection it shows the matching 2nd filter result)?

Thanks,

Golan

Nicolas Seronvalle July 12, 2017

You're welcome!

To generate this two lines filter result you can go to "Issues > Search for issues". There you can specify the characteristics of the issues and you can choose the columns you want to appear (see the documentation ). It is possible even if fields are different between the types. 

Until now I didn't use a plugin with that specific functionality. May be this one could be interesting for you (but I don't know if it also works in the issue search)  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.ovdgroup.jira.linkfields/server/overview 

Golan Davidovits July 13, 2017

About 2 lines filter: 

I don't see the linked issue fields as selectable options in the columns dropbox. Note that the only thing in common between those types is the fact that one is linked into it (the fields are different). 

What rules would you write to make JIRA show it?

About Link Fields:

Great lead. Thanks!

Golan

Nicolas Seronvalle July 13, 2017

Good :-)

For the search results, you may have one of the problem discussed there .

Otherwise maybe you do not meet certain conditions you can find in this documentation. If you can't add a column it may be because of the visiblity, beacause of a project specific custom field, ...

Let me know if it is relevant to your problem !

Suggest an answer